If you volunteer and then it is decided to cut the same percentage from all other
line items you will get hit twice.  Look carefully at the whole budget and look for
places that don't directly effect the kids.  In my opinion the library is as
important as the classroom in its effect on students.

My first reaction is to say no, because once it's cut, you might not ever get it
back.  However, if you must offer to cut some money, I would be very specific about
what the money you are offering goes toward (periodicals, AR test, etc.).  This
might be a good time to re-evaluate your collection, but I would be very, very
cautious!

Please post a hit of responses because I am so curious as to what others will
respond. My gut feeling would be that you should not volunteer to cut but if you
do, it should be a small amount. I don't want to state the obvious-will cuts ever
be restored? In so many schools libraries are a low priority and being overly
willing might signal that it's OK not to keep up the library. However, there is the
"team player" aspect to this.What are other proposed cuts and the impact on
students? Please let us know what others think. I would also be thinking ahead to
other sources of funds-PTA, fund raisers, etc.

Volunteer but make it clear that this is this year only. Remind people that
collections quickly go to ruin when new books are not added on a continueing basis.
see about other funding sources for library books to make up the loss.

Sure, if that makes you look like a good guy, it's worth it.
Particularly if you have a say in how much, and for what purpose.  If
you have specific collection development needs for next year and can
protect that by offering cuts in other areas of your budget, do it.

Decide how much is the absolute bare minimum you need without hurting too
badly - the bare minimum plus a little extra for cushion.  Then work out
another figure for more money, but still less than you get now.  Offer to
take the larger amount at first, then, if needed the larger one that is the
minimum you want to cut.  That way you will be viewed as a team player and
still be able to function.

"The best defense is a good offense." Volunteering part of the cut is
probably a good strategy, especially if you can extract a promise that
your budget will be one of the first to be restored when funds are again
available.

I think it would be very hard to get the money reinstated once it has
been taken away.  While you are there, they will expect you to continue
to volunteer, even if funds become available.

Have your administrators read the studies done in Colorado,
Pennsylvania, and other states that show the connection between student
test scores and proper support for excellence in libraries/media
centers?

At the university level, we are VERY concerned that students (public and
private) do not have the skills necessary to graduate from college.
Large cut backs at the library should be compared to cutting your own
throat!

We , too, had a shortfall of money....however, I did not volunteer to give back $$$
first.  In our case, another department head suggested that we were 22% over, so
each budget line item was reduced by 22%.  This seemed to satisfy everyone.....the
library took a hit, but no more than any other area.  You might was to determine
the % in your situation and offer a similar suggestion.  Good luck.
What I would fight for is an equal percentage cut from all categories.  No one
program takes a hit and everybody understands.

You show you can do without, and you will.

No....I would not volunteer the library's budget to be cut.  Without
knowing what is left to cut or what programs are using the majority of
funds (or what can be reduced), it's hard to determine what else could
be reduced; however, if everyone gives "a little" then no one area
will feel severe pain.  If you provide the library as the sacrificial
lamb, it will forever be the first place that everyone turns to cut
from the budget.

Everyone and every project should feel some of the burden and loss
from a budget cut...the library should not take the full impact.

I was in that same situation a few years ago. I offered to cut the budget a few
thousand dollars
and in the next couple of years it's gone up a bit but I've never gotten back to
the original amount. It's a two way sword. I've not been sorry about it, honestly.
I feel I give a litte to get a little. And in the back of my mind (between you and
me) I've always felt it better to cut a bit of the book budget rather than cut the
position. As you know, in NYS the elementary LMS is not mandated. I hold my breath
every budget time.

I faced this issue last year. I decided to step forward and spoke to
the principal. She asked what I number I could offer and I gave her the
number. I have a promise that next year, she would give me the money
back in my budget. The reason I chose to approach her rather than wait
for the proverbial axe is that I had input as to how much was cut and
from which account (supplies vs books vs AV, etc) and it made me look
like a team player. The teachers are aware that I gave up the $ and
since our building is based on site management, the budget team is
aware of my help. I didn't have to give up my whole budget. I don't
know if they're looking at you to give up the whole $20,000 or to a
portion.

I won't know until spring if my budget is reinstated to it's full
amount but I am hopeful.

I think if you're fairly sure your budget will be cut anyway, then I
think volunteering up front is a wise decision for a couple of
reasons...
1. if you go in and say "I know we have to make cuts; I'd like to offer
X percentage (or X dollars) out of my budget" - then you are being
proactive instead of reactive (and maybe able to hold down how much you
end up losing by offering a specific amount before the principal gets
deep into the process for your building);
2. by being a team player in this manner you will buy yourself untold
amounts of goodwill for future years when the money comes back or when
you have a special purchase you need some extra funds for.

You may propose to cut $5,000 as a means to prevent a larger cut.  I did
that one year and had to fight the next years to get the money back.  After
all, I told them I didn't need it.

Make sure you tell them what won't be provided to students.

If you volunteer, doesn't that suggest you don't need all of that money unless you
want to show you understand the situation and are willing to take the cut until the
money can be restored?  I need every dime I get and that is after getting an
additional $10,000 from grants.  If my budget was to be cut, I would at least try
to show why this would impact the library program and move on from there.

While I agree that your budget will be cut regardless, the pain needs to be shared
equally.

Speaking of sharing, That's an important argument for not gutting the library
budget.  Yours is a resource that can be used by all the school.

Thank you, everyone. Your advice has been very helpful. I will rethink if and/or
how much to give up.

Maryanne Beiter
SLMS
Council Rock Primary School