Hi, folks . . .

Perhaps you have read my review of Kiyo Sato's remarkable memoir, Dandelion
Through the Crack, in the Web supplement to the Sept/Oct 2007 issue of
Knowledge Quest -- see
www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslpubsandjournals/kqweb/kqarchives/volume36/361/361umbach.cfm

(BTW, I would welcome comments on the review).

The book, published by a small press, has had distribution problems that
the publisher is still trying to correct. Meanwhile, if you have tried to
order it and have been told it is unavailable (by Baker & Taylor or Barnes
& Noble, for example), I would appreciate a note directly from you to me,
ken@umbachconsulting.com, about that situation. That information, which I
will pass along to the publisher (who is a friend and professional
colleague), might help him to break the logjam with B&T and B&N. B&T has
ordered some copies, presumably in response to orders, but still seems to
be reporting the book as unavailable in response to many inquiries, and B&N
has been utterly clueless and obstinate, for reasons no one can explain. It
took preorders, and then refused to fill them.

This is discouraging, as it is a genuinely great book, and is pertinent to
the high school curriculum, as one of my KQ sidebars documents.

Meanwhile, apparently school and library book jobber The Book House (
<http://thebookhouse.com>http://thebookhouse.com  ) is filling orders.
Information on success of failure in ordering via that company would also
be of interest.  Amazon is filling orders and of course the publisher fills
orders directly ( www.DandelionThroughTheCrack.com ).

Thanks. I know this is somewhat off topic, but given that former California
State Librarian Kevin Starr gave Dandelion a rave endorsement and in fact
was key in propelling the book toward publication, I think it is worth the
mention here.

(For those in the Sacramento area, if you are looking for a speaker about
the Internment and civil liberties, Kiyo Sato has vast experience, and at
84 is still a superb speaker. She has spoken to many school groups over the
last 20-some years, most recently to Dr. Gordon Lam's history class at
Folsom Lake College, near Sacramento. I can put you in touch with her, or
the publisher can.)

Ken Umbach

Ken Umbach
Columnist, Knowledge Quest
Policy Analyst, California Research Bureau, California State Library
Writer, editor, researcher, consultant, www.umbachconsulting.com
ken@umbachconsulting.com
916-733-2159 -- voice mail