To: School Library Media & Network Communications <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
From: Steven Nabinger/MCS/mcs
Date: 12/10/2007 10:01AM
Subject: Re: holiday books

Jennifer,

Two of my favorite Hanukkah books are Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by
Eric Kimmel and The Tie-Man's Miracle by Steven Schnur.

Herschel is a great read-aloud for third or fourth grades.  My school is a
4th - 8th grade middle school, and I read Herschel for my fourth graders
every other year.  Trina Schart Hyman got a Caldecott Honor for her
illustrations, and the story of how Hershel outwits the goblins haunting
the old synagogue in order to save Hanukkah is a winner with the kids.

Tie-Man is a more serious book, good for advanced fifth or sixth grades.
It deals with a young Jewish boy learning something of the Holocaust from a
door-to-door tie salesman on the last night of Hanukkah.  Despite this
premise it has a very uplifting ending.  You may have to read through it
several times before you present it to avoid choking up while reading to
the kids.

Hope this helps.

Steven Nabinger, Teacher-Librarian
C. S. Driver Middle School