At a state conference I heard some librarians talking about their school system not
ordering The Mailbox magazine because of copyright concerns.  According to them,
the only person allowed to make copies from the magazine is the original purchaser.
 Therefore, it would not be legal to purchase a copy for the library and let other
teachers check it out and make copies.

The copyright statement on the contents page reads:

"All rights reserved.  Except as provided herein, no part of this publication may
be reproduced or transmitted by any means, electronic or mechanical, without
permission from the publishers.  ... Permission is granted to the original
subscriber to reproduce pages for individual classroom use only and not for resale
or distribution.  Reproduction for an entire school or school system is
prohitited..."

According to them, The Education Center has that policy so that more teachers would
have to purchase their own subscriptions to the magazine.

If it is true, I will no longer subscribe to the magazine.

Is anyone else aware of this?   Comments?  Opinions?

 Also, some of the professional books in my collection have the same statement.
Does that mean I should not circulate them?

Thanks in advance for any help you may give.

Lanor Ward
Librarian
Jackson Memorial Elementary
Austinville, VA