At 10:33 AM 12/19/2007, Culkin, Eileen wrote:
>  OK, so after my big promotion for Banned Book Week, my principal came to
>me with this problem.  A teacher took a book away from a student as it
>had a most inappropriate cover......... afraid of blockage if I explain,
>so, it's by Sarah Veitch,  "Training Gounds".  I checked it on
>Amazon.... Yikes!  But, she (and I) feel that we do not ban books here
>and that the student would need to have a book cover on it, as well as
>not using it as a read aloud to his pals ;-)  I am curious to know if
>you have had a similar situation and how your staff/admin. might handle
>it.  Thanks in advance, as always, EC

Ever on the lookout for a new voice in fiction I hurried to Amazon to
look at Ms. Veitch's catalog of work. The description of the first
title listed introduced me to a whole new genre - adult discipline
fiction! Imagine the bulletin boards for this one! I also glanced at
the covers of the rest of her titles, which were actually more
titillating <wonder if that will pass the filters?> covers than
"Training Grounds".

Every one of them would get taken up at my campus for "inappropriate
content" pictured on the cover no matter what might actually be
written inside. And I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. There
is a time and place for everything, but school is just not the place.
And I never in my life thought I would actually say that!

I would recommend that the book be returned to the student's opposite
parent: Mom if it's a boy, or Dad if it's a girl.

Melissa <dangling on a precipice with this one, I know>
Melissa Davis,                          phone: 281-689-6343
Librarian, Splendora Junior High                fax: 281-689-8445
Library Coordinator, Splendora ISD                  work:
mbdavis@splendoraisd.org
Splendora, Tx 77372                             home: mbdavis50@suddenlink.net