I'm updating the job descriptions for the library assistants / clerks
in our district and am considering adding some duties /
responsibilities that they have never had; however, I feel that
because there is such a limited amount of time for me to work with
students and teachers during the day, that some work must be taken by
the clerks in order to allow me to actually perform some instructional
duties (I serve and supervise three campuses---each without a
full-time librarian.  I am the only certified librarian in the
district but I do have three clerks with between 4-17 years of
experience working in the school library.)

Some of the duties that I am considering assigning the library assistants are:

*  creating bibliographies of materials for students and teachers
*  updating library webpages (adding basic information to a relatively
simple program----no HTML required, just word processing)
*  updating online catalog records---checking for consistency in call
numbers (upper case) and adding content provided by the librarian
(records will be placed in a "holding" area online for my review
before importing them into the system)
*  managing periodical subscriptions online (keeping records online
and locating companion subscriptions via our online databases for use
by students / teachers)

Are these duties beyond what you might ask from a library assistant?
At this time the library assistants check books in and out, cover
books, and shelve books.  Aside from book fairs or other extra
activities that might happen during special events, they aren't
involved in other aspects of the library program.  I'd like for them
to be trained in areas of technology, library programming ideas (to
help with short-term goals and programming for students), and to
become more aware of what our mission is within the curriculum (to
learn more about what is being taught in the classroom to help with
identifying materials we have, what we need, and to create
bibliographies for use---or subject ideas for future purchases).

What duties do you include that aren't listed here and what duties
that I have listed would you not allow?

I'll post a HIT if others are interested.  Thanks for you input!

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco, MLIS
District Librarian

Currently reading:  "Tested: One American School Struggles to Make the
Grade" by Linda Perlstein

Digital Bookends wiki / blog:
http://digitalbookends.pbwiki.com
http://shonda.edublogs.org/