I have so enjoyed all the stories of helpful librarians "volunteering" at
bookstores.  However, our small town has no bookstore (WAH!!!!!)  so instead I am
often asked to help locate items at Walmart or HEB.  Apparently I have the helpful
look also, or the know-it-all look.  At any rate people will often ask me, "I know
u don't work here but can u tell me where _____ is?"  Sad thing is that I usually
know.

The other day was the saddest one yet.  An elderly man asked me to help him choose
trash bags.  He told me that since his wife's death a month ago, he had no idea how
big of a bag he needed.  I was truly glad to help the man, even with the tears in
my eyes.  He made me thankful that people feel I'm helpful whether they are 13 or
83.  It was a very special moment for me...right there in the trash bag aisle.
Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year or Happy Holidays if you celebrate in a
different manner.  Let us all remember the spirit of love for mankind in the coming
year.  Love to all, Jennifer

Jennifer Garcia, Librarian
Uvalde Junior High School
P.O. Box 1909
Uvalde, TX 78802
(830)591-2980
garciaj@ucisd.net

>>> Jennifer Davidson <jdavidson@SOLOMON393.K12.KS.US> 12/20/2007 8:15 AM >>>
people locate books in bookstores.  However, when I'm in a bookstore or
a different library, customers/patrons will often ask me for help as
though I work there.  This used to happen even when I was in college
when I would go to the local public library.  I guess I have a
'librarian look'!  At least I apparently give off helpfulness vibes.

Jenni Davidson
jdavidson@solomon393.k12.ks.us <mailto:jdavidson@solomon393.k12.ks.us>
Elementary Librarian/HS Spanish
Solomon USD 393