Friends - Here's my original question - followed by the responses I
received.  The information about getting the Flesch-Kincaid scale using
Microsoft Word was what the teacher wanted to compare the reading level in a
current textbook and with that of a proposed new book.
Thanks so very much to everyone who sent suggestions:
VAN
--------ORIGINAL QUESTION ---------
An elementary teacher in my district has asked for a site that determines
the reading level of a book when she types in a passage.  I'm not familiar
with a site that works this way, but thought you might be able to help.
I did share the Renaissance Learning site (http://www.renlearn.com) that I
use to purchase AR tests and the Follett Titlewave site (
http://www.flr.follett.com/ - requires registration) with her.

This may be what your teacher is thinking about...You can type a passage
into Microsoft Word and have it determine the readability level. This is
turned off by default. In most versions of Word you go to Tools--Options and
then under the Spelling & Grammar tab near the bottom is a box to check for
"Show readability statistics".  After you type a passage into Word--check
Spelling and a pop-up box will appear with Readability Statistics using the
Flesch-Kincaid scale.

I use www.interventioncentral.com for this.  I teach reading classes.  On
the main page of the sire is a tool called "Okapi!" that gives CBM prompts
and assesses reading levels of texts.  I love the site for many reasons,but
this one is the main reason  (now that I think about it, it might
www.interventioncentral.org)

Lexile.com will let you figure the lexile level and you can then match that
to the others.

You can also use Scholastic's website for ReadingCounts tests (their
alternative to AR) since they will show reading and lexile level there.
Here's the link to their e-catalog which is quite extensive:
http://src.scholastic.com/ecatalog/default.asp?UID=1783014DC77B47BCB17918511C77B3E9&subt=0&Test=NA

You can search by title, author or keyword.  It will also allow a teacher to
search for non-fiction or fiction books by reading level, lexile level, or
guided reading level.

"VAN"
Diane K. Van Gorden, Librarian
Baker Middle & High School Library
Box 659
Baker, Montana USA  59313-0659

voice 406.778.3329
fax 406.778.2785
email vangordend @ baker . k12 . mt . us

"When one cannot go away, one can travel in spirit by means of books."
Louisa May Alcott, Letters, February 1884