I received several opinions on this book in terms of its placement in a
high school or middle school collection.  The concensus seems to be that
it would be best placed in grades 9-12, or even as a read for an adult
book club.  I'm off to my public library to check it out.   Many thanks
to all who contributed.

I listened to this book after trying in vain to read it.  I agree with
the others that it should be with young adult/high school collections.
The questions it brings up certainly make it a candidate for the adult
fiction shelves as well.
I read this book and loved it.  It definitely belongs in a high school
library since it takes place at the beginning of the American
Revolution.  It's a great example of irony since the "teachers" get
involved with throwing off the shackles of the king and don't see
anything wrong with owning slaves.  I can't wait for part 2.

I just finished this book myself, and want to chime in. I agree that
it
wouldn't be a book that the average middle school student would pick
out to read if it weren't assigned. It would be more accessible to a
student who has had some European history and read some world
literature, but it's not as daunting as all that. There's a lot of
white space on each page! The author's note at the back explains how
he
tried to make the language close to authentic for the time period
(1770s).

It's the kind of book that should really be read before you've heard
too much about what it's about, because then the revelations come upon
you gradually the way the author seemed to intend. The story and main
characters are memorable, and the unusual perspectives on what are (at
least for us in Massachusetts, where the story is set) very well known
historical events are really intriguing.

After I finished it, I was thinking about whether I could persuade
adults to read it out of the YA section. It would be a great
discussion
book!
I read this book last month.  I liked it but thought it would take a
very exceptional
6-8 grader to read it. The book is fat and the story moves slowly.
(I'd love to use it as a discussion
book with my adult book group, though, as it has some great issues in
it.)
There are some situations in the book that made me
decide to place the book in the young adult section
rather than with the middle grades. I too, hope, that
the book will be read by adults. It is quite memorable
and presents a view of history that I had never before
considered.
I think high school would get the most out of it and would have the
background about slavery and the American Revolution to fully
appreciate it.
This is a thought-provoking novel, with surprising situations and
serious themes (like all of
MT Anderson's books).  I thought it was terrific and would have no
qualms about putting it in
a high school.  It would make for great book club/classroom discussions
and American History tie-ins.
I am contemplating getting it for the middle school.  Are you worried
about objectionable material? The only thing remotely objectionable is
when Octavian
reads aloud a few sentences from what amounts to 18th century soft porn
(at the request
of a man who can't see to read, I think).  Octavian is clearly made
uncomfortable by what
he is reading.
Just starting it. . . but I would have placed it in the middle school
collection and the High School collection.
The children's librarian read this and I skimmed it, and we both agree
that it is definitely a book for the higher grades.  The subject
matter,
the narrative method used, and the archaic language will be difficult
for the Middle School students to slog through--um, I mean, comprehend
and understand.  We both found it a difficult read and the children's
librarian didn't like it at all.
Content-wise there is nothing that would preclude it from being in a
middle school/jr. high.
It might be a little difficult for most kids but for your better
readers I think it would be great.
I just finished reading it last night and I definitely think it is
appropriate for high school or more mature middle school students.
The
language is very authentic to the time period, so it might be
difficult
for younger readers to understand all the vocabulary.  I highly
recommend it!
I read this book and found it to be a difficult read in that it was
bleak, grim and a downer in general! One of the book's purposes is
show
the underbelly of the American Revolution. If you have some very good
middle school readers, which I know you do at Cranbrook, I think they
could handle it.

Mary L. Peterson, MLIS
Library Assistant
Cranbrook Campus Library
Cranbrook Kingswood Upper School
Bloomfield Hills, MI  48304
mpeterson@cranbrook.edu

Cranbrook: more than 100 years of excellence in education, science and
art