Hi All,
Here are the suggestions I received regarding an 8th grade summer
read.  Thank you all for your help!

joyce

*******************

Turnabout by Margaret Petersen Haddix.  About two elderly women in a
nursing home who agree to participate in a medical experiment.  They
are injected with a drug which makes them age backwards. Wonderful and
thought-provoking.

Armageddon Summer, by Jane Yolen and Bruce Coville.  Alternates
points-of-view between teenage boy and girl. Each is brought into a
camp of a religious cult by one parent.  Very striking.

Would struggles against a government count as individual vs. society?
Then Julia Alvarez' Before We Were Free.

Our eighth graders loved their summer reading assignment and I think
it falls under your general theme: The Lightning Thief by Rick
Riordan.

I just finished Uglies by Scott Westerfeld - a great read and
definitely meets your theme.  Then you have the follow ups for kids
who want to - Pretties and then Specials.

Not really fun but fits the theme and solid....Lizzie Bright and the
Buckminster boy by Gary Schmidt.  Printz and Newbery honor last year.

How about 'Esperanza Rising', by Pam Muņoz Ryan.  It's about a rich
Mexican girl who has to flee her home and goes to California to work
in the fields, and how she adapts to her new home and her new status
in life.

The Outsiders by SE Hinton

Airball, My Life In Briefs by L.D. Harkrader

Among the Hidden by Haddix
Invitation to the Game by Hughes  are two titles I've used with eighth
grade book discussion groups.

THE OUTSIDERS BY S.E. HINTON

THE CHOSEN BY CHAIM POTOK

TOUCHING SPIRIT BEAR BY BEN MIKAELSEN

THE GIVER BY LOIS LOWRY (READ IN GRADE SCHOOLS, BUT
THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF THE BOOK UNTIL
THEY'RE MUCH OLDER)

The Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld is really good.

Our 8th grade boys love Runner by Deuker. And many of them are crazy
about Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by Lubar. It took one of them saying
it was the best book he ever read for others to try it, thoug

I Am David
The Sunflower - Simon Wiesenthal
Stuck in Neutral - Terry Trueman (sp?)

The Schwa Was Here (can't remember author)

We are doing our book club this time with Touching Spirit Bear. I think it
would be perfect for your theme. The kids are loving it.

joyce

Joyce Kasman Valenza
Springfield Township HS Library
Phone: 215-233-6030 Ext. 2502                     Fax: 215-836-5237
Cell: 215-518-1846
Library website: http://mciu.org/~spjvweb     Blog:
http://joycevalenza.edublogs.org
Doctoral candidate UNT SLIS