Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who gave me fiction ideas for my 4th and 5th graders.
I have compiled the results below.  Thank you again!

1793, by Anderson. Historical novel about the yellow fever.

Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by diCamillo. China rabbit learns to
love, the hard way.

Lunch Money, by Clements. Actually, almost everything by Andrew Clements is
readily checked out by 5th graders, some 4th.

Gossamer, by Lowry. Sweet dreams and nightmares in a classic clash of good
and evil.

Nightmare Academy, and Hangman's Curse, by Frank Peretti. The kids love the
spooky titles, and Peretti is great at weaving a supernatural reality. This
book does have a Christian  worldview/mindset.

Of course, Lewis's Narnia series remains popular as well.

And by the way, these have all been great reads for me as well. I have
personally read all of these and can say that they are better written than
most of the adult junk thast I've seen lately. I'm so glad!

The Axle Galench series by Rooster Morris is quickly becoming a
favorite--especially with the reluctant readers.

believe it or not, my kids still like the following authors:  Hurowitz,
Hahn, CS Lewis, Levine, and all the Star Wars set.
hope that helps,

series that are jumping off the shelf by grade, not the obvious ones
like magic tree house, goosebumps and time warp trio.
1st grade ( high reading / low reading second)- Cam Janson early readers
               Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
               Hi Fly Guy
               any of the riddles books by Katy Hall, ie Snakey Riddles
2nd grade- ( high reading second low reading 3rd) A-Z mysteries
                My weird school- Dan Gutman

3rd grade- Dragon Slayers Academy K.H. McMullan
               Curse of the Dripping Fang- Dan Greenburg (zack files)
                Bone
                Witch Twins
                Cheetah Girls
                abby Hayes

4th grade- Gregor the Overlander, The edge chronicles
                more by author than series, Eve Ibbotson, Cornelia
Funke, Rick Riordan, Carl Hiaason, Kate DiCamillo, Jenny Nimo, Gary
Paulson, Dan Gutman,Mike Lupica

5th The Lightning Thief
      Alex Rider
      Silverfin
      Warriors
      Pendragon

      (back in vogue after a long hiatus, Lois Duncan)
Books our 5th graders are loving this year, Edward Tulane, The Legend of
Bass Reeves, Clementine, Jeremy Fink and the Secret of Life, All of the
Above,

5th grade boys love Dan Gutman's sports historical fiction novels (Babe
and Me, Shoeless Joe and Me, Honus and me, etc.)
5th grade girls and boys love Dork in Disguise and Margaret Peterson
Haddix's "Among the Hidden" series.

These aren't exactly new, but I recently bought Follett bound copies of
Emily Rodda's Deltora books.  I think the first series is Deltora Quest, and
there's also Dragons of Deltora, and the Rowan of Rin books.  I book talk
fantasy books, and since I introduced my fifth graders to Rodda's books,
they're rarely on the shelves.  I "sell" them to the kids who are asking for
Eragon, but aren't up to the length of that book.

The Warriors series by Erin Hunter has been popular with my 4-5 girls.
Also Spiderwick Chronicles by DeTerlizzi and Black are popular. Have
you seen the two books by Eoin Colfer, not the Artemis Fowl series, but
Legend of Crow's Teeth and the Legend of Spud Murphy? These were
popular with my 4-5 boys.

A new novel I just purchased was The Mailbox which they seemed to like
also.

Kathryn Lasky's Guardian of G'Houle series is big with
the fantasy fans.

The books that jump off my shelves at that level are Guardians of
G'Hoole series by Lasky and the Among the Hidden Series by Haddix.

I"m in a K-4 building but the books my better 4th grade readers love
right now are The Lightning Thief and its sequel, The Sea of Monsters;
Magyk and its sequel, Flyte; The Akhenaten Adventure and the Blue Djinn
of Babylon from the Children of the Lamp series. I have a reserve list
for all of these books and can't keep them on the shelves.

A few years ago the Shadow Children series came out by Haddix. (Among the
Hidden was the 1st book.)

Same with Artemis Fowl, Charlie Bones, and the Narnia series has had a bit
of a re-birth.

Dragon Slayer's Academy (lower level reading) by McMullan and American
Girl's History Myserties are all pretty popular right now.

My kids love Franny K. Stein by Jim Benton. They are 5th grade reading
level on AR, but they are very short, have pictures, and the kids from
grades 2-5 are keeping them off the shelves. Trouble is there are only 5
of them at this time.

For boys:
"Kidnapped" Series by Gordon Korman
"On the Run" Series by Gordon Korman

City of Embers series by Dupre
Sisters Grimm -Michael Buckley
Homework Machine - Dan Gutman
Andrew Clements
Dark Hills Divide Series

I cannot keep anything by Peg Kehret on my shelves.  A sixth grade girl came
in this morning and told me that she tried to not finish the book she took
friday - but couldn't stop reading.  She apologized, then took another book
- bet I'll see her before the next weekend.

    Peg Kehret seems to have the right combination of modern suspense and
book length... she has my students right where I want them.  Margaret
Peterson Haddix also has them in her grip, as well as Eoin Colfer with
Artemis Fowl and Corder with Lion Boy.

    James Valentine has gathered some fans with the Jumpman books, and my
low readers are sure loving Shredderman.

Hope that helps - in my school, using the state children's choice books
works very well.

My 4th and 5th grade girls love the Heartland Series  and Chestnut Hill
series by Lauren Brooke.

They have also liked the Santa Paws books by Edwards and anything by
Clements.

My students love the Shredderman series, Eragon and Eldest.  Also popular is
Ida B.  I cannot keep series books from Gordon Korman on the shelf.  They
are a little edgier, and my older students love them.  Troll Fell, Cabin on
Trouble Creek, Wolf Brother, The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught
her to Fly, Eager, The World According to Humphrey, Becoming Naomi Leon are
very popular with 4th and 5th graders and some higher reading third graders.
I cannot keep the Star Wars series on the shelves.  These are a few of the
things my older kids are reading.

I just received the series "Dragon Slayers Academy" and it is flying off the
shelf.