Hi All,

Here are the wonderful suggestions that I received for 5th grade nonfiction
literature circles.  If I missed thanking any of you, please accept my
thanks now.

You might try Escape! The Story of the Great Houdini by Sid Fleischman. It's
been popular at my library.

How about-- Jim Murphy's book The Great Fire.

I would suggest that almost any book by Russell Freedman or the husband/wife
duo Betsy Maestro and Giulio Maestro would be a good place to begin.  I'm
impressed and gladdened that you're adding nonfiction to your literature
circles!

While I haven't read the book myself, I used library fundraiser money to buy
Keeper of the Doves by Byars for my fifth grade team.

Our 5th grade reading teacher likes to use Gary Paulsen's My Life in Dog
Years which is a biography.

I have good experience with two autobiographies: My Life in Dog Years by
Gary Paulsen and Small Steps: The Year I got Polio by Peg Kehret.

What about Shutting out the Sky, Life in the Tenements of New York, which
was an Orbis Pictus Honor Book, by Deborah Hopkinson?  Students can read
different chapters of it and also talk about the amazing photos.

I always recommend Freeman's  Abraham Lincoln, for Grade 5 !!!  It is a
painless read for kids and it is a most essential subject.

The kids prefer Freeman's The Wright Brothers and will read it without being
required to, so . . .  after they finish Lincoln maybe they'll read The
Wright Brothers or other Freeman biographies for that matter.

Also, anything Seymore Simon !!!!!

There is a series called Childhood of Famous Americans.  I had a full set of
them and often recommended them to Fourth Grade.

Lisa Mills

DWE Librarian

Katy ISD

Katy, TX