Being new to LM_NET, I am a bit unsure of the exact way to post detailed hits. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.  But here goes....I abridged quite a bit...

Thank you to all who responded to my target.  I received many detailed responses.
The overall concensus is that elementary librarians are on fixed schedules and
there is very little collaboration with teachers.  The teachers understandably have
much to worry about with testing, grades, team planning, etc.  This is the typical
scenario.  Middle and high schools have more flexible schedules and more
collaboration.   In addition, everyone has a differnt situation.  Whether flex or
not, some situations are very tight some not so tight.  I think it is possible to
restructure the schedules in the elementary schools, but not without much grief.
Some good suggestions follow:

--adding a day on to another special like P.E.  ( I think our P.E. teacher would
have a coronary)

--teachers did not use the library time for planning. They used recess time for
planning and gym time for planning. We had one paraprofessional whose
responsibility it was to do playground duty in addition to her other job. The
teachers were required to be with their class when they all came. The kids could
come independently as needed/wanted to get new books.

I really support teachers' need for planning, having been a teacher for so long
myself.  I rarely see any of our teachers not rushing to get things done.  They are
overwhelmed and don't  have enough planning as it is.  I would not want them to
sacrifice what little planning they get for anything.  Thanks again for all the
help and responses.

Mary Naber
Media Coordinator
South Scotland Elementary