Greetings.  I am currently taking a workshop through the L.O.C. on using primary
sources.  One of the activities I would like to do is to use the song "Yankee
Doodle" with a 5th grade class and learn about the history of the song as it
relates to the American Revolution. As a part of the workshop, I was given a copy
of the song printed in 1862.
 I have searched the archives and not found a thing.  I've also searched the web
for any lesson plan ideas and have not found anything, as well.  I was wondering if
any of you out there have used this song for a history lesson in elementary school
and if so would you be willing to share some ideas?  From what I've read, the song
has many, many verses and has changed over the years.  I would love to learn more
of the history.  Any ideas? I also have a book written by Robert Quakenbush which
includes "Pop! Goes the Weasel" as well.  So, it would be great to include that
song, too.
Thanks!

Legare Hartbarger
Media Coordinator
Glenwood Elementary School K-6
Marion, NC
legare.hartbarger@mcdowell.k12.nc.us

************
All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina
Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties,
including law enforcement.

This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is
intended for the person/entity to whom it was originally addressed. Any use by
others is strictly prohibited.

In compliance with federal law, McDowell County Schools administers all
state-operated educational programs, employment activities and admissions without
discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age,
military service, disability, or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and
allowed by law.