Hi,

Here are the responses I received to my original query of whether folks still
maintain vertical files and if so, for how long the articles are kept.

Hope it helps someone out there and thanks to all who responded!

Ilana Locker
Librarian
Colegio Internacional de Caracas
lockeri@ciccaracas.com.ve
http://www.ciccaracas.com.ve/elementarylibrary/

************

I no longer keep a vertical file.  If you have access to the web you probably don't
need to keep a vertical file.

************

We keep local events and history in vertical files.  We also use file drawers for
author files and curriculum themes.

***********

We've given up on the vertical file since the advent of the Internet.

************

Yes, I do keep a vertical file. And I don't have any hard and fast rule for weeding
materials. My file consists of five four-drawer legal-sized file cabinets. Each
file has a MARC record with subject headings, etc. That way
kids are more likely to look in the files. We do have a regular clipping program
(mostly volunteers).

************

In answer to the first of your questions - yes, we still maintain the vertical file
but it is more of an archive than VF is supposed to be.  I have one 4-drawer filing
cabinet with folders and my topics are limited to articles and other materials
directly relating to the curriculum (for example, we have two teachers who do
lessons that deal with the Great Lakes so I have a Great Lakes folder and add to it
infrequently).  I do not have a time limit for articles (articles about the death
of JFK or 9/11 for example are primary resources and not going to be withdrawn) but
try to go through them every 3 to 5 years (the idea is that I do a drawer a year)
and pull things that have obviously become dated (cloning, disease, etc.).  If we
discover something erroneous while
using the VF, it gets pulled right then!

*****************

I have been a middle school librarian for three years.  The vertical files were
already established when I began the position.  I have tried to maintain them and
update them each year, however, they are used VERY little.  This year, I've been
weeding them and getting rid of the stuff that could easily be found in a database
or online.  I am mainly only keeping items related to local history.

*******************

I am new at this school and my predecessor had extensive vertical files which
contained very dated information. We have culled the old material and reduced the
total number of files to about 75-all on "hot topics" which the girls are looking
for current information about.

I like having something in print to hand students and so we clip the NY Times, our
local paper and downloads of selected documents from FirstGOV, etc which are
relevant and not too technical.  Personally I wouldn't keep most things beyond
three years at max.

*******************

Don't really have vertical files. Once in a while I'll keep some newspapers that
have special interest.

***************

Good morning.  We no longer have a vertical file, haven't had one for at least 5
years, and that one was only for Kentucky information.  I do keep local & state
testing information now.

**************

We still maintain a vertical file, since we have a limited number of computers. We
keep articles for 3 years, unless they are of historical value at the local or
state level.

*************
 I no longer keep verticle files.  I have slowly been weeding out the ones I
inherited keeping only items that relate to local history.

***********
We no longer keep a verticle file. We have one but it is not updated and I've never
seen it accessed and this is my third year here.

***********

I still maintain a vertical file although it is only about half the size of what I
kept up to about five years ago.  Now that we have so much available through our
online magazine/newspaper database, it's just not as necessary.  Most material is
five years old or newer, but certain historical items I might keep longer.  The
vertical file still has a place for photo copies of large articles that students
return to me or articles from the local newspapers that might not be available in
the standard databases or would be difficult to access.

*************
I do have a very small verticle file.  This only has information for a few projects
that we have no other print material available on.

************
I no longer maintain a vertical file at the middle school. This is my third year at
the high school also.  (Do to budget cut-backs) At the high school I have moved the
vertical files to a back storage room and have told the staff they are welcome to
any of the materials in the files.  I am wondering if I should keep some "basic"
material such as maps and etc.

************

I don't think anyone keeps vertical files any more; the Internet replaces that.
When people asked me for
information or an article on some subject, I found it was better to look online.

I was able to get rid my my vertical file about 7 years ago.  It was the best
decision I made.  At one point we use to purchase pamphlets for the vertical file.
At this point in time, kids seem to turn to the web for that kind of materials. I
think a good case could be made for keeping a vertical file of school related news
articles or a local community file.

I haven't touched a VF in about 15 years.