Hi,

Here's the hit on circulation statistics. Thanks again for all of your help, as
always!

Ilana Locker
Librarian
Colegio Internacional de Caracas
lockeri@ciccaracas.com.ve
http://www.ciccaracas.com.ve/elementarylibrary/

***************

If you are keeping stats then you should be letting your administration know what
they are.  If I was starting my career I would keep the stats for a year and then
start comparisons that I would report to the
administration.

You might want to go to the archives, I know this has been discussed in the past.
From what I've learned on LM_Net I would do things differently if I was starting my
career, but I'm about four months from
retirement.

************

I have to turn in my circulation figures for each month at the end of the year, but
that's about all I do with them.

**********

We report our circulation statistics monthly & yearly to our principals.

*********

As to the second question, like you say, I just "file them away until someone asks
for them." Neither my school nor the district require reports of any detail
although the librarians do an annual report of accomplishments of the past year and
plans for the Board of Trustees. We do keep track of collection age and size and
report that annually.

**********

I do not usually do anything with them (including print them) - I have never had
anyone ask me for statistics for report purposes and if I need something for a
grant, they are all right on the system to pull out or
off.  That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to do that - I may start doing that
because as money gets tighter around our school (Michigan is in a terrible
downswing), I might need to justify why I still need a budget.

************

 My school district actually requires that we complete a monthly report each month.
 On the final day of the month, I generate a collection statistics report for the
month.  Also, throughout the month, we count how many students use the library on a
daily basis.  We have a small piece of paper at the entrance and we make a mark
each time a student enters.  We have library helpers who do this for us during the
busy study hall periods.  On my monthly report, I must include how many students
used the library (as close as I can get), how many books were used in the library
(I estimate that each student will use two books when they are here), how many
books were circulated, and the total number of classes/instruction I had in the
library for the month.  I also must include tasks that were completed in the
library for the month (eg. Checking in new books, weeding, collaboration projects,
etc.)

********
I tend to ignore them, because they aren't all that useful. I DO use item history
to help me weed.

********

As for the circ stats, they could be manipulated in many ways.  :-)  EX:  If your
fiction isn't circulating, is it because it's out of date?  Do you need additional
funding to make your collection more useful?  But to answer your original question,
I have years of stats in my desk.  :-)

***********

I use the stats to give quarterly reports to my admin. and to spot trends for
myself.

********

We use our circ stats etc, for our monthly report which we provide to our
supervisor and we also use it for our year end summary which is also submitted to
our supervisor.

********

I keep my stats and put them in an annual report. I am not great with Excel but I
thinik that putting them into graph form (visual) would be great.

As for circulation statistics - I don't bother with them. I have never seen a use
for these statistics as so much of my work is internal. I know I could input them
as Mandarin has a feature to do this - but no one seems to want them - so why
bother?

I know in my head what is circulating which is really all I care about.

*********