Phyllis, I don't think you are out of line.

My students are far more knowledgeable about our system than their teachers
because they have watched me check out books countless times, and I often
show them the screen when a problem occurs (too many books out,
misunderstanding about a fine, etc.). Though we do not have self checkout,
they would love to use the scanner themselves and frequently ask; but all I
have to do is remind them of the many times an alert or error message pops
up and they are quite happy to have me handle things.

You can teach anyone what key to press and when; but if your system is like
mine, that is not enough. If they do not know how the modules of the system
interact, an incorrect response to an alert could cause significant and
perhaps costly problems. What your principal is asking is risking the
integrity of the entire system, which could result in unnecessary downtime
and tech support.

Some people have no clue just how complex - and fragile - a good automation
system is.

Perhaps you could offer to do an in-service to demonstrate how your system
can help teachers better utilize the system's capabilities instead of giving
them *hours* of instruction of learning how the system's modules work and
how to handle those alerts and error messages!

Connie Harrison
Librarian, Greenfield School
Wilson, NC
kani888@gmail.com