I agree with Cathy that this is a "fabulous" discussion. Well, maybe not
fabulous, but important.

Cathy wrote: (snip):

" . . . to authors including racy words to grab attention: . . . she
originally wrote intending it for an adult audience. The original book . . .
whose dialogue she changed when she decided to target a younger audience. .
.  she and her editor had lengthy discussions and even looked at the book
line by line examining it for
appropriate language. I found that a little scary - another form of
censorship perhaps?"

Thought: How can it be censorship if the book isn't in print yet? Authors
always go through their books (one would hope, anyway) and make changes
before the book goes to print. And often, the editor makes (or calls for)
changes. Is that censorship? I suppose it could be (from the author's
perspective) if it's against the author's will, but of course the author can
resort to breaking the contract if the wording's that important to her/him.
If the author is re-targeting her book to a new audience, I find it very
appropriate that the wording would be changed.

What's so hard about the concept of age-appropriateness? Obviously none of
us will ever agree on drawing an exact line (age-wise) for EVERY book, but
general guidelines are important. Otherwise, why have designations such as
"children's books" or "YA" (Young Adult) at all? Why have a Children's
section in a public library? Why have them in bookstores? Obviously, there's
a good reason.

Perhaps the problem isn't so much the books as the way our schools are set
up: K - 6 instead of K - 5 in many cases. If you check Follett Titlewave,
they break the suggested range between 5th and 6th grade, so that books for
6th graders fall into a 6 - 8 grade range. While every child is different, I
think most of us would (from our own observations) agree that by 6th grade,
many kids are beginning to be more "adolescent" than "child." Hormones are
hitting big time, and most kids are beginning the body and mind changes.
Their understanding of the world around them is broadening and they're ready
for more mature storylines. Those of us at the K - 6 sites often find
ourselves in the dilemma of deciding which 6 - 8 books we can order that
will perk the interest of our more mature 6th graders but won't be "over the
top" if a 4th grader checks them out. It's a difficult choice. To me,
censorship is the pulling or withdrawing of an acquired item, not the choice
of not selecting the item. You can't "ban" something you don't have.

Joanne Ladewig  (A.K.A. "Library Lady")

Library Media Tech

Lawrence Elementary, GGUSD

Garden Grove, California

shatz@verizon.net

Comments are my own and may not represent the views of GGUSD

*       Subject: Re: [LM_NET] censorship vs. selection
*       From: Cathy Rettberg <crettberg@MENLOSCHOOL.ORG>
*       Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:31:58 -0800
*       In-Reply-To: <004001c75a19$65147430$6600a8c0@Upstairs
<http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/LM_NET/Current/msg01246.html> >
*       References: <004001c75a19$65147430$6600a8c0@Upstairs
<http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/LM_NET/Current/msg01246.html> >
*       Reply-To: Cathy Rettberg <crettberg@MENLOSCHOOL.ORG>
*       Sender: School Library Media & Network Communications
<LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>

First let me say that I think this is a fabulous discussion.

The whole censorship vs selection thing is truly a slippery slope
IMO. There's a pretty fine line between "I won't buy this book
because it has a word (a topic, a concept) that I think is
inappropriate or because parents will complain" and "I won't buy this
book because it doesn't suit my readers/my collection." It's a
concept I've always struggled with - the fact is, banning a book from
a library (in an official sense) has never prevented a reader from
getting the book elsewhere, so I think it's hard to use availability
elsewhere as rationale for not calling it censorship. It's a personal
decision that we make in a professional and very public manner - one
person's logical decision is another person's censorship.

For my part I've already bought the book, which I might not have done
without the controversy (I don't necessarily buy every Newbery) - I
plan to use it as a springboard for discussion with my students who
are convinced that book banning doesn't happen.

Last point, in reference to the NYT (I think) reference to authors
including racy words to grab attention: a local author spoke at my
school today. She has published a YA book (her first) that she
originally wrote intending it for an adult audience. The original
book included some "salty characters" (the author's words) whose
dialogue she changed when she decided to target a younger audience. I
asked her about the nature of the changes and brought up the present
Newbery situation. She said she and her editor had lengthy
discussions and even looked at the book line by line examining it for
appropriate language. I found that a little scary - another form of
censorship perhaps?

Cathy
Cathy Rettberg, MLIS
Head Librarian, Menlo School, grades 6-12
Atherton, CA
crettberg@menloschool.org