I'm considering teaching a half year Information Skills class, probably
with grade 7 or 8.  Currently my schedule is totally flexible, but due
to a number of factors (like teachers forced to focus on test prep at
the expense of inquiry and research projects), I'm having trouble
getting classes in for research and information skills.  I want to try
teaching my curriculum as a fixed class, collaborating with the core
team to make what I teach relevant and connected to the classroom,
covering topics that are already part of my curriculum, such as locating
information, note taking, reading strategies, organization, using
technology, all that good stuff.  I'm thinking that if I just fix one
period a day, I can still teach other grades and classes as I currently
do.  I would love to hear from others who have tried this.  Does it
work?  Is it a bad idea to fix my schedule?  I'm trying to have more
consistent access to students.  Any other ideas that have worked for
you?
Thanks so much!
Stephanie Hodkinson
Librarian