Fun trip down memory lane for some, maybe. In my case, my first computer was a
product only an engineer could love. An IBM AT, with black and white screen, and it
spoke DOS.
 2 thoughts that didn't occur to me until years (and Apple computers) later:
1. why was there an atmosphere of " I'm not very good at this - I need to try
harder/be smarter"?
2. What was going on at ALA, that in those early years, the dissemination of
information by computer means was seen to be somehow so different from printed
methods, that it was OK to let MIS grads be seen as experts, not MLS grads. What a
very different view of librarians (and their salaries) the world would have now, if
action had been taken early on by ALA and the graduate schools of Library Science.
Do you think I'm too critical? Do you think I don't really understand the role of
ALA in promoting/supporting our profession?
I'm open to other interpretations....

Melissa Techman, MLS
Broadus Wood Elementary School,
185 Buck Mtn. Rd,