Just a bit of background info before my main question. I have a teacher friend who
is working with her grade level team to finalize a research project that they are
going to have their 6th grade students undertake. One of the four teachers (new to
the school this year) feels very strongly that the students must use note cards to
record their information. Note cards have been required in the past, but were not a
required component of last year's project (with no seeming drop in the quality of
the final reports). The other 3 teachers feel that there are other viable
alternatives to note cards such as the data chart that is part of the assignment
organizer on the Big6 website
(http://www.sasaustin.org/podium/default.aspx?t=30393). My main question is: how do
you have your students take notes for research? Do you use note cards, notebook
paper, some sort of graphic organizer, or something else all together? I have some
ideas on the matter, but work only with elementary students. So I wasn't sure if
things were different at the middle school level. I will be glad to post a hit of

Caroline Herbert, Media Coordinator
Oak Grove Elementary School
3810 Wake Forest Rd.
Durham, NC 27703