Hi.  Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for school library
budget numbers so that I could show my administration what other school
libraries receive from the school budget.  Below is the breakdown.  I
created an Excel spreadsheet and then pasted the numbers in to this email.
If it doesn't display in a legible manner, email me and I will send you the
Excel file.

I received a lot of support and wise advice for advocating for including our
school library in the school budget,

Breakdown (if provided)

Grades Served

# of Students

Total LMC Budget

Books

Magazines

Technology

Supplies

Other

Sixth - Eighth

453

9,450

7500

1200

District provides

750

K - Sixth

685

3,000

Pre K - Fifth

430

4,000

Sixth - Eighth

189

8,000

Ninth - Twelfth

230

8,000

(didn't specify)

600

3,000

middle and high

400

12,000

tenth - twelfth

650

11,890

8019

972

1509

1390

high school

620

21,000

15,000

3,000

District provides

3,000

all in district

(didn't give)

13,000

9,000

3,000

1,000

(didn't specify)

700

14,000

10,000

1000

1500

1500

K - Twelfth

220

3,000

1,000

500

500 (also in  other budget area)

1500

Seventh - Twelfth

280

8,400

5,000

1000

2000

400

Sixth - Eighth

440

14,202

11,707

495

2,000

high school

500

10,882

5,652

2880

2200

150

(didn't specify)

800

5,000

**'Other' column = Professional Meetings, maintenance, Accelerated Reader
Quizzes etc.

Other comments:

I received $20 per year per student from the county in Arlington VA, and
also received $3000 a year from the PTA to use as I wanted. I used the PTA
money for furniture, author visit, books that I wanted to get quickly,
whatever.

I work within a district policy that was developed based upon state level
expectations.  Our district provides general funds from the budget for each
school library ($9 per student for the first 500 students, and a smaller
amount per student above that.)

Asst. Supt. tell the principals make sure you provide the general funds
required for your school library, and the librarian administers that budget.
Still, there are a few principals who try to "get around" this directive and
not provide all of that money (500 students = $4500 per year.)

One of the first things I would do is find out what the accreditation
standards are.  We are accredited by SACS and there is a formula by which
the school is mandated to fund the library.  Also, Title V funds are federal
monies that must go to either the library or new programs.  Where is the
money being spent?

Perhaps you could beg and plead at the board meetings?  Be sure and tell
them that this money doesn't even constitiute one book per student.  Perhaps
assemble a lovely stack of beautiful library-bound volumes that have a
collective purchase price of 500 bucks,so they can really see how few books
that really buys.

Davinna Artibey

Teacher Librarian

Denver Center for International Studies