> I keep wondering how members of the profession will be able to reorient
> themselves quickly enough to keep in the slipstream of educational
> change while at the same time educating the technology department and
> the administration about how best to take advantage of something they
> see as both frightening and liable.
>
> So many of the LMSs I work with feel that they are alone in their
> struggle to take advantage of Web 2.0. No easy solutions on this one.
> floyd

Hi all,

On Saturday, David Warlick and I presented to the National School Board
Leadership Council in Washington DC. These folks are the top elected
leadership of public schools in the country.

David "white hat" wowed them all with the opportunities presented by the Web
2.0 connections. And he graphically illustrated the risks (and the reason we
need librarians) by showing them an article on Martin Luther King -- and
then backtracking to show them that this was an article on a site hosted by
the hate group Stormfront (which is actually a Web 1.0 site).

They loved his presentation. Then I got up and told them of these recent
LM-Net emails and how the library community is concerned that because of the
fears and legitimate concerns is resulting in many districts simply blocking
access to Web 2.0.

I had the "black hat" task of discussing the challenges -- cyberbullying
risky sexual activities, unsafe and dangerous groups, addiction, unsafe
provision of personal information, online strangers. Then I set forth a
comprehensive approach to address these challenges -- which will be
necessary to take advantage of the opportunities. Each state also received a
copy of my "hot off the press" new edition of my book on cyberbullying,
which includes a template for a comprehensive plan to address these
challenges.

You see, we can't just say "we need Web 2.0." There are very real management
concerns related to student use of these highly interactive technologies .
It is essential to address the challenges to take advantage of the
opportunities. I can't say that they "loved" my presentation. ;-)  I stunned
them with the range of concerns. I advised them to Google "bypass Internet
filter" to witness how ineffective their current management approach is. I
laid out an important agenda for revising how schools are managing student
Internet use.

The NSBA has established an ongoing email list for these folks that I am a
member of. This will provide me with the opportunity to provide ongoing
information and support. I can also be a conduit of information from you to
them.

An opening for dialogue and action - hopefully.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress. New edition, published by Research Press.

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (March 16, 2007)