Thanks very much to all of you who took the time to respond to my question about
the use of the term "kit." The consensus is that it's still a viable cataloging and
call number term. Responses follow:

I use Follett, and Kit is a designation.  We have many kits - books

with audio tape or cd.  I catalog as you have shown - KIT F PAU.

Yes, we still use KIT when it contains at least two forms of media. We do follow it
with the proper Dewey.

I still use the word "kit" whether I shelve the book with others or
separately on a hanging rack.

I still use KIT and just in the way you showed in your
example. Although I will say I haven't purchased
anything like a KIT in some time.

I use KIT followed by the call numbers. Most of my KITs are multiple
videos and
other resources to go along with them. I shelve them with the videos. I have
some foreign language cassettes and accompanying material and I shelve them
with the other audio books. In follett there is still a symbol for kits.

Original query:
I know "kit" was traditionally used to designate the grouping of
> different types of materials. Is "kit" still an acceptable cataloging
> term to use in Marc records and call numbers? Example: if we have a
> book that we package together with a "spoken word" sound recording,
> does that get labeled as a kit? If any of you use the "Kit"
> designation, do you just follow the word with the call number? (Kit F
> Pau)? Thanks very much for any answers you can send my way.

Katherine A. Billet
Librarian
State College Area School District
State College, PA