    Please cross-post widely.
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 Hi, all,

 It is very important for school library voices to be heard loudly and clearly in
ALA Council and as ALA president. We are librarians and we are teachers and the
educator part of our job means that we have needs and positions that the others in
our profession will support if we are there to inform them and take action. Please
consider thoughtfully your participation in our profession through a seat on
Council---or as ALA President-elect.

 Although petitions will be available at Midwinter, nominations (self-nominations
are encouraged) are due by Sept. 1.  You do need to be able to attend Midwinter and
Annual and stay till Wednesday noon of the conferences to be on Council.

 Thanks for making a difference for our students and our profession, Sara Kelly
Johns, AASL President

 NOMINATING COMMITTEE SEEKS CANDIDATES

 The ALA 2008 Nominating Committee is soliciting nominees to run on the 2008 spring
ballot for the offices of ALA President-elect and
 Councilor-at-large.

 The Nominating Committee will select two candidates to run for President-elect and
no fewer than 51 candidates for the 34 at-large
 Council seats to be filled in the 2008 spring election.

 The President-elect will serve a three-year term: as President-elect in 2008-2009,
as President in 2009-2010, and as Immediate Past President in 2010-2011.

 The Councilors-at-large will serve three-year terms, beginning after the 2008 ALA
Annual Conference and ending at the adjournment of the 2011 Annual Conference.

 The ALA President and Councilors also serve in corresponding roles in the
ALA-Allied Professional Association [ALA-APA].  Individuals considering ALA-APA
office are encouraged to consult with their employer regarding any restrictions
regarding lobbying activities or service on the governing body of a 501(c)6
organization.

 Members who wish to make nominations should submit the following information:
nominee name; present position; institution; address;
 telephone; fax; and e-mail address.  Self-nominations are encouraged.

 All potential nominees must complete the Potential Candidate Biographical Form
available at https://cs.ala.org/potentialcandidates/
 Nominations and forms must be received no later than September 1, 2007.

 Nominations may be sent to any member of the 2008 Nominating Committee.
  Committee members are:
 · W. Lee Hisle, Chair, Vice President of Information Services & Librarian of
College, Connecticut College. E-mail: wlhis@conncoll.edu.

 · Nancy Bolt, Nancy Bolt & Associates, Golden, CO. E-mail: nancybolt@earthlink.net.

 · Tyrone Heath Cannon, Library Dean, University of San Francisco. E-mail:
cannont@usfca.edu.

 · Jon E. Cawthorne, Associate Dean, San Diego State University. E-mail:
jcawthor@gmail.com

 · Alma Dawson, Professor, Louisiana State University. E-mail:    notaed@lsu.edu.

 · Karen E. Downing, Foundation and Grants Librarian, University of Michigan.
E-mail: kdown@umich.edu.
 · Loida A. Garcia-Febo, Asst. Coordinator, Special Services, Queens Library,
Jamaica, NY. E-mail: loida.garcia-febo@queenslibrary.org

 · Dale H. Ross, Trustee, Ames  [IA] Public Library. E-mail: dross24704@aol.com.

 · Jennifer A. Younger, Edward H. Arnold Director of University Libraries,
University of Notre Dame, IN. E-mail: Jennifer.A.Younger.1@nd.edu

 To encourage diversity and leadership development, the Committee will refrain from
nominating any current Councilors for election to another term.  However, the
Committee encourages all current Councilors who wish to continue their service to
the Association to file as petition candidates.  Petitions will be available from
Lois Ann Gregory-Wood, Council Secretariat, ALA, 50 E. Huron, Chicago, IL 60611,
Email: lgregory@ala.org, or during the 2007 Annual Conference or 2008 Midwinter
Meeting.  Petitions require 25 signatures for names to be included on the 2008
ballot.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Sara Kelly Johns
AASL 2007-08 President
Associate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest
Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com
<http://fromtheinsideout.blogspace.com>

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson