Hello.

Last June I sent out the following email:
I am a library teacher in a K-5 public school working with on a fixed
schedule. I was wondering if you required all students to check out a
book(s) each week. I often question what's the
right thing to do with kids who do not want to select a book during library
time. Do you also always insist that they take a "just right" book as well?

Here are the responses I've received.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied so promptly! I really appreciate it.

Ellen Mandel

Library Teacher

Sprague Elementary School

Wellesley, MA.

ellen@peaceful.com

I to have K - 5 in 5 different schools.  I tell them that part of what they
come to the library for is to get a book to read.  I spend a lot of time
with them talking about taking their time to select one they think they
might like.  I booktalk.  I corner a relunctant reader and get into a
discussion on what they would like to see in the library.  And I try very
hard to purchase the type of book they mention and make sure that student is
the first to get it.  I have found that if I meet them halfway, they will be
willing to try a book that I suggest.  I also tell them that if they have a
book from home, bookfair, public library, classroom that they are reading
they should bring it with them. I make sure they understand that my heart
will not be broken if they do not get a book from my library, but it might
break if they have no book at all. They just cannot sit for 30 - 45 minutes
with absolutely nothing to do.

Connie

I'm also on a fixed schedule, and I do require everyone to check out.  Even
those who forget their books check out one book and leave it on a special
shelf in the library where it is kept until the end of the following day.
(They know that if they bring in their forgotten books the next day they can
just drop them off and take the saved book.)  On the rare occasion a child
protests, I tell them that this is their precious library time once a week
and I really NEED them to pick out a book.  I lay it on thick, and they
usually acquiesce.

If a child comes up with a completely off-level book, I play it by ear, but
most often I ask them to go back and pick a "just-right" book to go with it.
Allowing them to keep the original book take away the sting, but insures
that they'll have at least one good reading book.  I do the same thing if
they come up to the desk with, for example, three drawing books.  I just ask
them to swap one out for a good reading book.  We use the metaphor "brain
pizza and brain dessert" a lot around here.  "Brain dessert" is a book or
magazine that's fun but doesn't provide any mental nutrition.  "Brain pizza"
is a good book that nourishes their reading.  I tell them their mom wouldn't
let them eat dessert with no dinner and I won't let them read only "dessert
books" either.

Kris

Little ones 3 through 1st grade have to take out a book. I tell them they
have to because they are learning to select books and that takes practice.
In second grade on if they have a book at home that they are reading and a
book in the classroom, they don't have to take out a book but have to be
reading something in library like peanuts, or waldo or a magazine. Lisa

No library time is not "Just right" book time- I work with the teachers for
a selection of "Just right "books that are in the classroom for selection.

Lisa

   I manage 4 libraries...2 prk-5, 1 Middle, and 1 Sr. High.

I am on a fixed schedule at one elementary, but not the other.

I require a check-out at the fixed-schedule, but not at the other

When I require a check-out, I allow some of the students to check out to the
CLASSROOM (with teacher cooperation)

    so they are   not so likely to loose items.  This can be students with
the maximum of 2 items out (which they can't

    find)  or just those whose parents don't want the financial
responsiblity of replacing lost items.  I have a difficult time

    REQUIRING check-out, then sending a bill for lost book.

   I also ENCOURAGE check-out by having the children who checked out a "new"
item line-up first, then those that

   renewed, then those that forgot their books.

   Those students with the max 2 items out and who did not bring one of the
books to renew must sit on carpet & look at book or magazine.

I "strongly encourage", (with humor), each child to check out a book.  Boys
are notorious for not being interested in checking out a book.  Have raised

2 boys of my own...  My philosophy is that library time is a special time
set aside for students to get access to learning how to responsibly borrow
and return library books, and catch the bug called "loves to read".  I
expect all children to check out a book.

I help the reluctant readers find great books, while parent volunteers check
out the actual books at the circulation desk.  The volunteers keep me free
to 'work the floor'. I want to see all children leaving with a book, so I
take the time to help them find one that is of interest before they leave.

I do not insist that they take a grade level book, as some are low readers.

My desire is to instill my love of reading to my students.  So, I keep it
light, but make sure everyone checks out a book.  Just my 2 cents worth...

Jane

In my opinion, there's no sense in making a child take out a book. It's
unlikely he'll read it and probably won't take good care of it, either. I
have often made it my goal to pick one reluctant reader per year per class
and try to, by the end of the year, get him or her to take home AND READ one
book and then tell me he liked it! I ask questions about what he likes, what
he watches, what sports he plays, etc.

As for "just right", I pretty much let kids take whatever they want, with a
few exceptions. So what if they're trying to impress someone or can't really
read it? I still remember my LD son at 8, struggling with an Audubon
biography, because he was so fascinated with the color plates. He could only
make out about every 6th word or so, but he refused to quit. It didn't hurt
him and he'd have been crushed to have me take it and tell him "you can't
read that!"

Betty

I see no point in forcing kids to check out a book.  I offer lots of
suggestions and encourage them to give it a try - they don't have to finish
it if they don't like it.  Usually after hearing me talking with other kids
about what they are reading and sharing titles with each other - that's
enough to get them to start trying something.

I would say about 99.9% of my students check out.  I do not make that child
that really doesn't want to take one check out.  2nd-4th grade can check out
two and I often have them ask if they can just check out one.

Our 5th graders are allowed three but most only take one or two.

I encourage them to get a book that is on their level, however if they want
something they are really interested in sometimes that is motivation enough
to read it.

Mary

I don't require anyone to take books out, but I talk to the kids
individually about their interests and try to direct to shelves.

I do get frustrated with the kids as they get older and I see the decline of
interest in books.

I am working on the little kids and helping them to understand what a just
right book actually is looks like for them.  They seem to think that if they
can read the words, that is OK.

I have really insisted this year and in most cases especially with the
younger ones it has made a difference. Sixth grade boys are the exception to
this as the year goes on it is apparent they just don't want to read.  I
have told them it is ok not to like a book and they have the option to
return it and find another. Sometimes it is just the idea they can come in
and explore and find something else that causes them to really look at the
book.

I did have the same feeling about the right not to check out a book but
seeing that it has made a small difference did change my mind.

They may choose to check out none or only one, if that is their preference.
If students have overdue books, they may not check out new ones until they
return the overdues. The only limiting we do is with the I Spy books (1 per
child) because they are so popular with our early grades.

We are firm believers in choice for our students, but we also have some
teachers with differing opinions.  Many want to make sure the child can read
the book before checking it out.  At the beginning  of the school year, I
tell students they will need to check with their teacher before picking a
book that may be beyond their reading capabilities.

Judy

In my building all students MUST take out a book no matter what.

However, because book exchange and circulation are handled by a TA it is not
insisted upon that is be a "just right" book.  (She does try though)  It is
made sure that 1st and 2nd graders don't take books that they can't read and
older students are not allowed to take the easy readers.

Otherwise, they can take out whatever they want.  The ones who don't want a
book generally check out the drawing books, I Spy's and the various record
books but the view is that as long as they are taking a book all is good.

This is something I struggle with as well.  I usually don't require that
they check out books, but for K-3, everyone does.  They love it, it's a big
deal.  Then by 4th grade, a few decide they don't want to, no matter how
much I try to show them new books, graphic novels, magazines, books about
gross things (usually a hit with reluctant readers).  By 5th, unless A)
their teacher requires them to do AR or SSR, or B) they love to read, they
don't check out period unless I have a day where I decide I'm over it and
MAKE them check out a book.  Which is kind of curmudgeonly librarian-ish and
not very effective.

Although I work in a school and library is a part of the curriculum, we have
reluctant readers as well. When this happens we ask them why they don't want
to check a book. Sometimes we let them go with empty hands, but if they kid
does this more than once we let him/her know that the library always has
something they like. The majority of the times these are boys, so we make
them check out Garfield comic books or Captain Underpants. It works really
good.

I believe that as long as you don't force the kids to take something,
showing them the way is perfectly fine.

I am in a small, K-8 private school. While I do inquire as to the students'
desires in reading, I do not require students to check out a book. I have
several students who look every week and yet never check something out. One
student in particular always wants something from the sections that are
off-limits to his grade.

The "just right" question is a thorny one and seems to arise more in the

K-3 age group than any other. Many parents and teachers think students
should only check out books that they are able to read independently. I have
had complaints from parents and teachers about the difficulty level of books
that a child has checked out. My personal feeling is that a book should be
chosen because of the desire to "read" it, regardless of reading level. The
reality is that I have put restrictions on who may check out certain books.
Because we are a K-8 school I don't allow students into certain areas
because of the content and difficulty level of the material. Even so, I have
limited access to certain books (Egyptology, Wizardology, Piratology) to
students in grades 2 and above.

I house them in the primary section of my media center and students in K & 1
may look at them while they are here, they just can't check them out.

Anne

If someone forced me to check out a book, I'd be annoyed and not

likely to want to return.  Probably the same, or moreso for kids.

But don't give up trying to interest them.  If you have time to ask the
teacher what interests the kid, salt the desk with some cool ones on that
topic, if possible.

I have a PK-8 grade library.  I require all children up to about third grade
to check out each week.  After that, I start out the year with everyone
checking out in grades 4/6, but it does taper off as they are involved in
more activities and have more homework.  Grades 6-8 are pretty much on their
own.  The readers in those grades read avidly and the non-readers don't.  I
try to bait them with book talks and personal suggestions per their
interests and what I know about them; some of their teachers require check
out of certain types of books for research papers.

If the little ones say they don't want to checkout, I tell them they have to
take one and at least look at it.  I say I bet they'll like it if they give
it a chance.  If they don't like it, they can come back (with teacher
permission) and trade it in for something else.  They very rarely (almost
never) come back for a trade.

I don't let little ones check out the older children's books or vice-versa.
The areas are clearly delineated in the library, and it hasn't been a
problem.

I do not require students to take out a book each week, although I'm
wondering if I should change this policy. I would like to hear about schools
who do require kids to take out books and why.

Also, I do not require kids to take out a "just right" book, unless a parent
has made a specific request. I understand why classroom teachers require
students to take out books that the student can read independently, but I
feel strongly that students' interest in reading is strengthened when they
choose books in the library they are excited about. Library books are books
that families can share together. The only requirement is that a student
choose a book they will enjoy, be that independently or with family members.

From time to time, I do encourage students to read books at the appropriate
level by book talking or exposing the students to a specific author.

Also, sometimes kids make mistakes when they choose a book, but it's all a
part of the learning process. If we don't let them make mistakes, will they
learn how to independently choose books they will enjoy? Ultimately,
becoming a proficient reader and being able to choose books they enjoy will
sustain an interest in reading.

This is my 14th year at my preK through 6th grade school.  Usually all are
anxious to check out except occasionally some 6th graders - sometimes 5th. I
used to say "that's OK" but found that it spread quickly throughout the
group, and soon quite a few did not bother to look for a book and sometimes
it was cool to be "too cool" for the books in the library collection, so for
the last few years we have required all students to choose "at least one
book" and I try to help them select - difficult without a library assistant
- but I try!  I usually say something like surely you can find something
about which you would like to know some more information, and that usually
works pretty well.

grades k & 1:  I do require them to choose a book, because part of the class
requirement is to "show and tell" about the book.  For K, I pretty much keep
them in the picture book area.  (they only pick 1 book).  For 1st grade, I
have them pick 1 from the picture book area, and 1 from the nonfiction area
or the chapter book area.  I suggest that they make "good first grade
choices" ie; nonfiction with lots of pictures & captions, easier chapter
books such as Magic Treehouse, Judy Moody, etc.

Grades 2-5:  I punch their library card with a different fancy hole punch
every week if they have no overdues.  They get to pick a little prize or
sweet treat when they acccumulate 5 punches, therefore they usually want to
check out or renew.  ( I trim off the punches when they accumulate 5).

It seems to me that the older the kids get, the less likely they are to
check out every week.  Mostly it's because it takes them several weeks to
work their way through a novel, also they will trade novels with one another
or borrow from a teacher's collection more readily by 5th grade.

I insist strongly-then ask them what they like to read.  I always get them
to get at least 1 book.

"You mean out of all these hundresd of books you can't find one??" They get
it!

Students in my school check out with classes or independently, so there is
plenty of opportunity for them to choose what they like.  I don't think I
would insist.  However, I would take note of reluctant students and try to
give them more attention at times.  Maybe a personal connection from time to
time would help their interest level.

I am on a fixed schedule also.  I do not require my students to check out
books; however, many of our teachers do.  I always encourage my students to
check out something, even if all they want to do is look at the pictures.  I
see it as a chance to get a book in their hands.  If they look at the
pictures they may want to read about what they are looking at and without
knowing it they find that reading a book for recreation can be pretty fun
and a learning experience.

no, and no  IMHO my students have so much pressure put on them outside the
library, I want the library to be an oasis during an otherwise pressure
filled day.  I never require them to check out a book.  I also don't care
what they check out regarding RL or anything else.  We do have restrictions
as to sections available to PreK-2nd grade, but within the sections I don't
care what they check out.  We have AR here so a lot of kids are looking for
"just the right" book, but it's totally teacher driven.  I even have one
teacher who insists on OKing the kids' checkouts, and they have to get one
to read and one to look at (I had to fight for that).  When the kids in that
class get to third grade, they are amazed that there are no longer any
restrictions on what they may have.  I certainly don't mind helping students
find a "right" book, and I sometimes steer them away from something I don't
think they will like, but the ultimate decision is theirs. My "library
lessons" are low key also.  I don't do worksheets or crafts per say.  I just
read whatever the story/stories are and let the kids get what they can out
of them.  I'm not good at pulling themes, etc. out of books, so I don't do
very much of that.  I do units on using an index, dictionary guide words,
atlas, and almanac.  We do have worksheets with those, but I don't collect
or grade them.  In fact, I let them ball them up and "shoot" them at the
garbage can.  Just my opinion.

I never require that a student take a book, but I always encourage it.

Some teachers require it, though, and I haven't found a successful way
around that one!

If you can, try to find out why the student doesn't want to check out.

I have had students who have lost a book in the past be afraid they will
lose another one, and parents who have forbidden them to borrow for the same
reason.  One student said I didn't have any books he wanted to read, so I
enlisted his help in previewing a box of books (back when I could preview!),
and that helped.