Richie's Picks: PAINT THE WIND by Pam Munoz  Ryan, Scholastic Press,
September 2007, ISBN: 0-439-87362-2

"She dropped her head and licked the baby's damp and  clotted fur, her tongue
persuading him to breathe.  At last, he twitched  and stirred.  The small
body roused.  The foal, who would become known  as Klee, rolled onto his chest,
lifted his heavy, wobbly head, and perked his  ears.  Minutes later, he stood
but braced his front legs too far  apart.  He collapsed on the ground, limbs
splayed like bird wings.   Artemisia waited until he rose again, stiff-legged
and tottering.  She  moved closer, extending her back legs and positioning
herself so that Klee could  suckle.  He tried to nurse on the hock of one leg but
Artemisia shifted  away from his awkward attempt until he found a teat."

I'll never forget my surprise when, walking home from  Commack High School
North one afternoon, I encountered a horse  standing in the small grassy
backyard of our family's suburban Long Island  home, craning its head over the
fence
and surveying my  arrival.

It turned out to be but the latest highlight  in my sister's love affair with
Equus  caballus.

It had been, perhaps, a half-dozen years earlier and  maybe a dozen paces
from where the young mare was standing that  afternoon, that I had overheard a
conversation in which my little  sister was earnestly describing for the young
girl next door all  of the animals she would be accumulating someday after
she'd purchased her horse and her farm.

"As Artemisia nestled close to her baby, she felt content  and in no hurry to
get back to the small band of horses.  She welcomed this  time, free from
Sargent's constant scrutiny and her duties as lead mare.   With Mary, she had
stayed away for a week, enjoying the solitude with her new  foal, until they were
discovered by Sargent and herded back to his  harem."

Other than some photos of our mother riding horses  at a dude ranch in the
Catskills in the days before she met  our father, we had scarce few encounters
with horses when we were  young children.  And it was I who was known in the
family and  beyond as the young book-a-day reader.  But I unquestionably  trace
my sister's current living situation -- a farm and horses down  in Costa Rica
-- all the way back to her reading and re-reading of Marguerite  Henry's MISTY
OF CHINCOTEAGUE when she was a little  girl.

And there is also no doubt in my mind that, decades from  now, some guy will
be tracing his little sister's lifelong love affair with  horses back to her
reading and re-reading the haunting,  new, girl-and-a-horse tale, PAINT THE
WIND by Pam Munoz Ryan.

" 'Maya, do you know anything about your mother's  family?'
"Maya searched her memory for the details Grandmother had told  her and
slowly nodded.  'My other grandmother died when my mother was  really little.  I
have a grandfather and he lives with his brother and  sister...but they're
actually hillbillies with no education and they live like  pigs in an uncivilized
land.  Oh, and they don't appreciate culture and are  extremely crass and
unsavory.' "

Eleven year-old Maya lost her parents in an accident six years  earlier.  She
has since lived with her paternal grandmother in Pasadena,  California amidst
wealth, sterility, and somberness.  It is clear that  Grandmother blames her
son's involvement with Maya's "wild" mother for his  demise.  Maya is not
permitted amusement of any sort, has  been shuffled from private school to private
school, and has been required  to adhere to a long list of harsh and
unreasonable rules.

But when Grandmother dies suddenly and Grandmother's attorney  discovers
belatedly that Grandmother had simply ignored the dictate that  Maya spend summers
with her maternal relatives -- who run with horses amidst the  wilds of
Wyoming (when not teaching university classes or working as farriers or  handymen)
-- Maya finds herself on a plane on the way to meet these  strangers of whom
Grandmother had always spoken so disparagingly.

And what is certain from the first pages of the  story is that Maya will
somehow be crossing paths with the wild mare,  Artemisia.

"Below them, the Honeycomb Buttes rose abruptly from the basin  floor in
peculiar sandstone spires of rust, brown, and green.  In the east,  Continental
Peak saluted, and in the west, the Oregon Buttes lay like a sleeping  giant."

Somehow, it doesn't matter that I've now lived in California  for decades.
With having spent a childhood and  adolescence back East, where most
"mountains" aren't much taller  than the buildings in the City, it still kicks off
that
feeling of awe  in me when an author like Pam Munoz Ryan writes of fording icy
rivers  and paints breathtaking pictures of horses running wild on high
ridges.

PAINT THE WIND is a story that will surely trigger dreams  amongst a
multitude of young girls (and boys) of riding like the  wind across endless, high
plains.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com