Thank you to everyone who responded to my request about how you have made
your "series section" work successfully on your campus. I find myself  needing
to reduce the number of books in my current fiction section by about 15
shelves! to accommodate the installation of an interactive whiteboard. (And yes,  I
have weeded to the bone already.) We are slowly working toward a new design in
 our library and I felt that rather than move books around every few months
until this renovation comes to full fruition, separating the "popular  series"
books from the rest of our fiction section allows me to accomplish my  short
term need for room AND cause the least disruption for the rest of the  library
collection. When the renovation is complete we may or may not keep the
series books in a separate section.

I decided that I will put a "marker" of some sort on the shelf where the
books would be located to indicate their new location. Since this may be a
TEMPORARY fix I do not think I will change spine labels or cataloging, but  will
probably put some kind of sticker on the spine to indicate series. I have a
dynamo label maker and a red S on the side would probably be serve my  purpose.
(Should this become a permanent change cataloging will be also be  changed.)

Following are the responses to my request: (Names have been omitted to
protect the innocent!   :-)

I added a prefix above the call number in the computer record:
SERIES
FIC
OSB

I am in the process of adding this prefix on the books' spines, and making
signs for the bookshelves
 I am finishing up my first year in the library.  When I started  in
September, books in a series were in two different places in the library:  easy
fiction series and fiction series.  One group had green labels, the  other had
yellow labels.  Parent volunteers had no trouble shelving them  and kids would go
look for them in the right place, BUT THE CATALOG GAVE NO  INDICATION WHERE
THEY WERE SHELVED.         I  am a little Kids would ask me to help them find
books; we’d look at the library  catalog, write down the call number, and then we
couldn’t find them on the  shelf.  I looked like an idiot because I couldn’t
find the  books!

I fixed the  spine labels on these books and I shelved them in fiction and in
E fiction (E is  for Everybody).  My students have no trouble finding them
when they use the  library catalog.  My goal is to get them to find things by
themselves most  of the time.
With the  old system, kids would just browse  the “books in a series”
section, but if  an author also had other titles that weren’t part of a series,
the
students  never discovered them.
I hope you  post a HIT - I am planning on doing the same thing for the same
reason. I don't  have extra library shelving, but there is a metal rack they
used to use that has  been taking up space. I won't fit ALL the series on it,
but I hope to fit most.  It has six shelves on each side and they are only 8
inches deep - perfect for  paperbacks.  It will be near the fiction, but a bit
apart - and I'm relying  on the clerk and I remembering that these go on the
rack... I am  planning on using a 'sublocation' of series rack in the catalog.
Good luck  - and I look forward to seeing what others do.
We have done this at our  library and use 1/2" dot stickers to indicate that
the book is part of a  series.  We use dark blue to indicate upper elementary
series (Nancy Drew,  Redwall, Lemony Snicket etc.)  and bright green to
indicate beginner series  (Junie B., Magic Tree House, Nate the Great, etc.)  It
has
worked very well
Our city libraries use a juvenile  system where picture books are ‘J1’ and
chapter books are ‘J2’. They have a  sticker at the top of each spine with
either a red ‘J1’ or a blue ‘J2’. I have  mirrored the city system in our
school by putting a red ‘1’ or a blue ‘2’ at the  top of each spine.
I modified this system when I  decided to pull series books and put them in a
different section. When  processing series books, instead of J2 Bro, for
example, I would enter it  as J2Y Bro, (the ‘Y’ stands for yellow). When
labeling, I use a yellow  ‘2’ instead of a blue one. This way it’s
immediately
obvious where to shelve  them.
In my ‘Favorite Series’ section I  shelve series in alphabetical order
according to the name of the series, i.e, A to Z Mysteries, Boxcar Children,  Cam
Jansen Mysteries, Dear America, Fairy Realm,  etc.
It’s worked really well.
I separated series out last year and at the end  of the year I put them all
back in with the rest of the fiction.  I had a  hard time with what constitutes
a series.  Two or Three books? four or  more?  How popular did they have to
be to get pulled?  Arrgh....I  decided it was easier to keep it simple!
I have our popular series in another section and  I think it works well.
We use the prefix SER plus we use the yellow label  protector, so that we
know just by a quick glance where the books need to be  shelved (or that
they are in wrong spot!)  The shelves are labeled as  well.
In my library we have separated out the Popular  Series fiction books.  It
will definitely make the shelving easier, and  will free up a lot of space.  In
order to designate these books, we leave  the call number the same, but have a
flourescent green dot that is placed right  above the call number.  That
alerts everyone that the book is shelved in  the Series section.  By using the
flourescent green it's very easy to spot  one that may get shelved in the wrong
place by mistake....but that almost never  happens since it stands out so much.
Go for it, all the way.
I've done it, and the  kids in my library love it.
I put every series in it's own small bin box (6"  wide,
12" deep, only 1.5" tall at the front, so the frontmost
cover is  visible). I made an entire row of these boxes,
all with covers out, which  saved shelf space AND made
them more inviting. I liked it so much that I went  still
further, and got 6" wide plastic bins for heavier books
(most of the  series are pbs), and then labeled those
bins for some authors, as well as  series. That made
it possible to ALSO put both pb and hardcover  for
popular authors in the same face-out labeled bin.

I started with  20 boxes. I probably now have 120.
Each one saves 6" of shelf space and  results in a
book facing out at that spot all the time. Most are
clearly  labeled, for the long term (that took time).

The kids love it. Yes, the  volunteers are sometimes
unfamiliar with the series and miss. But those  misses
are fairly easy to spot, and the kids themselves come
in every day  and volunteer to put the series away,
because a) it's easy, and b) they enjoy  them this
way, so putting them away is fun. I try to minimize
the misses,  if possible, by sorting the cart so that all
of the series books are lumped  together (they also
tend to be pbs, which are light).

You won't really  need to tell the kids where it is...
there will always be a crowd.  :)

And I didn't update the catalog. My rearrangement came
because we  moved for a remodel, and time to correct the
catalog on that scale was not  extant. Since my initial
positioning of the series row was at fiction, and  was
highly visible, no one got confused
I have done this too, but mostly with the Junie  B, Magice Tree House, Zack
Files and that level of fiction. I got clear empty  video tape box holders,
made a spine label for them, and then put the Series  name at the top "Magic Tree
House" and then "See Series Book Shelf" under that  and then at the bottom of
the spine I put the call number F Osb...the same as  all the other books. I
then put it as a place holder on the regular fiction  shelf. At first the kids
brought the video box to me (even though I had told  them about it and shown
them) asking me what it was, and look what I found, but  now they all pretty
much know what they are. My volunteers are harder. They  sometimes still put the
books back on the regular fiction shelf. When I  find them there, I just move
them back over to the series shelf. The kids do the  same thing...they'll
often tell me and I thank them for putting it back with the  others and for being
so observant. I don't mark anything in the catalog, or have  anything special
on the spine of the books. I did mark the shelves as the series  shelves and
label each area as Magic Tree House, Bailey School Kids, Zack Files,  etc.  It
did not take kids all but 30 seconds to figure it out! The hardest  ones for
my volunteers are the Box car children series because it doesn't say  "Boxcar
children" on the covers. All the other books somehow make it clear that
they're part of an ongoing series.  I hope this helps.  If you get  some really
clever ideas, could you please post a hit?  I would appreciate  seeing if there
is anything better than this.
We have a  separate section for series.  In my old school, we put them in
baskets  which the kids loved.  It was easy for them to flip through the
baskets.  Here they’re up on shelves.  We put “Series” in the 852k  field in
the
catalog so the kids know to look there.  We don’t put any  sticker on them.
Occasionally they end up back on the regular shelves by  mistake.
You will  definitely need to mark them in some way - even just a small
colored dot  helps.

Several years ago I took over a library that had limited space so  the
librarian had created special shelving areas for certain types of
books.  However, the books were not marked in any way so I never knew  to
re-shelve them in that area creating chaos for those used to finding the
books in those areas - it was hard for me to remember just what the special
sections were and if a book fit into that category.  I quickly  integrated
books back into the collection and used the special shelving  areas for
other things and clearly marked them.  The dots/stickers were  supposed to
let those re-shelving know where to put them, but were also easy  to pick
out on the regular shelves if misplaced.
Using the Jim  Trelease method of "grouping series books" in the
library, we purchased  plastic "wash tubs" (like the ones you can find
at the dollar store which are  about 16" x 20" in size).  All of the
tubs were white, so we created  large colorful labels, laminated them,
and then (using large book tape) taped  them to the front of the tubs
indicating the SERIES name (like "Junie B.  Jones").  Then we placed
each title from a specific series in the  designated tub.  We could get
about 20-25 paperbacks in the tub or  between 12-15 hardback books in
them.

To make it easier to locate  visually, we grouped the tubs in one shelf
area and called them "Bucket  Books"---then each tub went on the shelf
alphabetically by the series' name  (to make it easier for the younger
non-readers.)  So our "Arthur" books  came first, then "Berenstain
Bears", then "Clifford the Big Red Dog"...and so  on until we got to
the "Zack Files."

Using the Visual Search module in  Destiny, I created "Bucket Books" as
a visual icon to add those specific  titles for each series that had a
"tub."  Then when the student clicked  the "Bucket Books" icon, each
series that was available was seen (with a  picture of the
character--such as Clifford) on the screen.  Students  could click the
picture of the book character and could see the list of books  which
were available --- this was done using Destiny's TitlePeek  program
which showed the book's cover. The students could see the book  cover
and then read the words...IN  or  OUT.

It made it very  convenient for those kids who wanted to search the
online catalog before  browsing the tubs.  They also reallized that
sometimes books came in but  weren't shelved immediately, so they could
find out if their favorite was  still on my bookcart or not.  By the
end of the year, I had first  graders who could use the Visual Search
online and then locate the book in  the Book Buckets like they were
"graduate students!"   *grin*
I don't do this;  I feel that it does two things:

1.  It creates confusion for kids  and shelvers.  You will have books shelved
in both sections; kids will have  to look in more than one section for what
they want.  Plus, if we're  teaching kids lifelong library skills, most public
libraries don't do this -  unless a series has multiple authors like American
Girl,  Choose-Your-Own-Adventure, or Dear America.  For those types of series,
I  can (possibly) see the usefulness of a special section.
2.  What  determines what is a "popular series"?  How often will it be
updated?   What criteria would you use to determine what books deserve the special
designation, and how will you know when to put them back with the "unpopular"
fiction books? And, most importantly, what does it say about the books that
don't make the cut?

I inherited a library that did this, and I've helped  a few new librarians
correct this in their library.  Keeping the fiction  section intact has always
been the popular choice.

What we've done is the  same, but instead of taking them to another place
we've put them on top of the  shelves so they are more visible. We don't change
anything in their call  numbers, and yes, sometimes our volunteers put them
back in the regular shelf,  but once you tell them not too, it works perfectly!
I inherited a  library last year and a few book series were shelved
separately. The kids  really kept those books checked out.  Some of the
series that were  separated are Junie B. Jones, A-Z mysteries, Dear America,
Nancy Drew, Hardy  Boys, Geronimo Stilton, Hank the Cowdog, etc.  All these
books are  placed in several shelves at the front of the fiction section with
a label  underneath identifying the series. My volunteers love reshelving
these books  because it is so easy.  When all the books came back this year,
I  couldn't believe how many I really had.  They are always checked  out.
We have our  fiction set up like this and it works really well!
We have the series books after the rest of the  fiction books, they have the
prefix "SERIES" before our regular fiction call  numbers (FIC & author's last
name) and the books also have Series stickers  on them. The kids love the
set-up and know just which books are series and  belong in the special section,
and they go right to it. They can get very upset  if they find a series book
mixed in with the regular fiction!  We also  have a little cheat sheet posted
around the fiction section with the different  genre stickers and what they mean.
Our fiction circulates well, but the series  books especially so.

We have blue dot stickers on our popular sets  and series and have them
shelved in a separate area.  This works well as  our students and our 5th
grade "helpers" all have no problem with finding the  books.  If only I
could do the same in non-fiction, sigh.

In my last school I used "S" above the FIC and  author's name.

We have a special section for popular series  books.  It is located next to
the door and the kids all know about  them.  I do have an amazing assistant and
she sees to it that the books are  shelved in the proper area.  When we check
in books we make piles on the  corner of the circ desk of these books and
they can go to their proper  area.  Of course there will be occaisonal books that
make it to the general  shelves.   Some of the series we do are Junie B.,
Eyewittness by DK,  graphics by Capstone, Harry P, American Girl, Wishbone.  We
also have 3  shelves for the new books that arrive.

Would this work:
Put a marker where the  series books *would* be, if there weren't shelved in
a differert area.  For  example, in the SNI section of fiction, put a little
sign that says "Lemony  Snicket books are shelved with the Series books in the
front of the  library."  That should remind both your shelvers and your
patrons that  these particular books are in the Series area.

We're a small PreK through 8th grade school  library with over 10,000 books.
We went to this system two years ago because  I only have a part-time aide,
and shelving was so difficult. It has worked  REALLLY well to speed up
shelving. Also, I find the books are going out a lot  more. To organize the
sections I've done a few things.

I've placed  colored dots on the spines for the different sections. Blue for
Easy Readers  (Pre-primer types of books), green for Easy Chapter (only
series such as  Junie B., Geronimo Stilton, Magic School Bus, etc. comprise
this section),  yellow for animal books, and pink for Easy Graphic Novels.
Our extensive  collections of I Spy and dinosaur books are displayed in
special revolving  racks because they go out more than most. I've also gone
into the OPAC and  typed in the section where the books are now housed to
make it easier for  teachers to find the books if necessary.

I have the same problem that you do, in  that I do not have sufficient
shelving capability to house all my collections  - fiction or nonfiction.
I inherited a library last year that had been  staffed by a
paraprofessional for many years,and a collection run by  Accelerated
Reader.  The result is that I have LOTS of series fiction -  I'm talking
about 100 Boxcar Children, 75 Nancy Drew, 50 Wishbone, not to  mention
Lemony, Harry, Junie, Dear America etal.  Their idea was that if  one
copy was good, then 3 to 5 copies must be better.  Yes I'm weeding,  but
to solve the shelving issue, I went and bought cute baskets,  tubs,
trunks, suitcases an other interesting containers to hold these  many
books.  Goosebumps are in a big cauldron, Hank is in a galvanized  tin
water trough, Clifford is in a puppy bed basket.  You get the  picture.
The kids learned with one swoop where everything is, so they are  no
problem and all the fiction containers are in the fiction  section,
picture books with picture books, etc.  A few of my volunteers  never got
it, but the majority did.  This year I'll get some labeling on  the
containers, and do a better job of volunteer orientation.  I did not  do
any special spine labels or cataloging.  As a general rule, I don't  like
stickers - they gunk up the spines and look unattractive.  I'm  spending
most of my summer trying to get the AR stickers OFF the  books.

There are some good articles and books about merchandising your  library
that I've read and seen.  You might look for those, and think  Barnes &
Noble when you are creating displays and making books accessible  to the
kids.

This week I just moved all my beginning chapter  books for the same
reason, space, and I am going to get silver star stickers  for both the
volunteers and the kids' identification ease. Other books in  easy reader
and on the fiction shelf have round, colored stickers so I have  to have
something dramatically different or there will be confusion. I  have
segregated mine on a cart and will do a de-briefing(!) about them  to
both volunteers and the 1st and 2nd graders next fall. I think it  will
be successful, I hope so!

Rachel  Hinds
Librarian
Carleston Elementary
Pearland, Tx
_mcquita2@aol.com_ (mailto:mcquita2@aol.com)

"If you're here on Earth and  you're not living on the edge, you're taking up
too much room."
- Farrah  Gray