________________________________

From: Lim, Kathleen Dundon
Sent: Mon 6/11/2007 3:18 PM
To: LM-NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: HIT: Copyright Training

Thanks to all who responded to my question about copyright training.  The overall
response was that Yes, you do provide it.  Important themes were principal support
and some sort of documentation of each person receieving the training.  Below are
the responses.

Kathy Lim
Raleigh NC

**I too am wondering this.  I have an appointment next week to talk with
the Principal about trainings next year.  I want to approach him about
this topic among two others.  Please let me know what responses you get.
I was just about to post something similar, but you beat me to it.

**I am planning on passing out a Fair Use brochure and general copyright guidelines
at one of our firat staff meetings in the fall.  Most teachers know that they
cannot show a movie over our CCTV system unless there is permission by the
copyright holder either throught he vendor or directly through me.  I think it's a
good idea to offer it, but unless the principal is on board with it, it won't
happen.  My philosophy is to keep it short with good concise written informatiojn
to summarize the important aspects of the presentation.  Good luck!

**We have developed a video that is shown to all staff at the beginning of
the year.  They "sign off" on the training and every new staff member is
also shown the video.

**I find that my teachers are not prone to attend trainings and our new principal
does not require them to attend. As a result I will be handing out notebooks to
each teacher, this year, and included in those will be copyright information with a
request that they familiarize themselves with this information. I'm struggling with
public performance rights issues right now. The principal seems disinterested and
the teachers keep asking me to show films that we don't have the rights to show.
I'm going to request that our SBDM council accept into policy that only films that
we do have performance rights on will be shown from the library via the in-house
network--no exceptions. It's a terrible thing to say, but I will have allies on the
council that will be willing to put this in place. Sometimes you have to find a
back door and use it in order to do the right thing.

Beth

**Yes, we have had formal © training each year for many many years.  Initially,
librarians were responsible for delivering the info.  About 5 or 6 years ago our
supervisor prepared a PP presentation in an effort to make presentations uniform.
Staff was required to sign-off indicating they were aware of the county policy on ©
and Fair Use.   Then librarians were simply expected to send out a reminder about
the policy to returning staff and provide direct instruction to all new staff.
Just last year, our entire ©/Fair Use information went online.  New staff receive
an email with a weblink to a site with the info and scenerios about school
situation.  New staff have 3-4 months to review and take an online quiz about info.
 The online quiz acts as their electronic signature.  Librarians simply pass out
the ©/Fair Use handbook to new staff and answer questions if they have any.

**Our district began offering Copyright in the Classroom workshops this year -- I
taught it.  It is not mandatory at this time, but we are trying to get it as part
of a professional development schedule for all teachers.

**We don't do it. The one year I included it in some library stuff, everybody got
mad at me!!!!

I think it should be required face-to-face every so many years and there should be
a printed reminder
every year.

This is one of those areas where I wonder if admin course work even includes a
session.

**Everyone in our county gets copyright training every year.  I really believe it
is important for new employees.  Although I suppose it is a good reminder for the
veterans, as the person who teaches it year after year, it would be fine with me if
they just took a copyright quiz and signed off on our county's copyright compliance
policy!  It's hard to make copyright entertaining and informative year after year!
Nevertheless, our superintendent is a serious copyright advocate (as he should be)
and we all do the training every year.

**Yes.  Training is formalized at the beginning of each year, during the faculty
and staff 'opening meeting.'  Yes.  Faculty are required to attend and sign an
agreement that covers copyright and technology issues.  I usually do a 15 minutes
spill with documents that go into greater details that they take with them.  I'm
looking to make it more realistic next year.

Our school system had a couple of major copyright goofs that didn't go public two
years ago, but made a big splash internally.  As a result, we do yearly training at
each school.

This is my opinion.  Professionally, you're the copyright know-it-all.  If
something goes wrong (i.e. if heads are going to roll), then I can assure you that
the accused faculty member is going to say, "but I didn't know."  Then that will
turn into, well, "why didn't this person know?"  "Who's responsibility was it to
inform this faculty member?"  It all comes back to you.  If nothing else, cover
your own butt.  I've research this topic a little now, and have found that when
something goes public and gets media/legal attention, then someone's butt is gone.

Do a short presentation.  Have a sign in sheet that you can file away.  Post your
documents on the library/school website.  Midway through the year, email a couple
of reminders of copyright with links to supporting documents.  Then file away the
email.

I found that the yearly training does indeed help with copyright issues with some
faculty members, but some people are still going to do what they want to do.  The
people that 'get it' is the reason you do the workshops as a professional and a
friend; the people that do what they want regardless is the reason you'll want to
cover your own butt.