________________________________

From: Rasch, Elizabeth
Sent: Tue 6/12/2007 1:26 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: public vs. school librarianship -- any thoughts/advice?

Hello LM NET!

I am new to this particular listserv and was hoping to pick your collective brains.
I have been a public librarian for a few years now and am seriously considering
obtaining my certification to work in a school library, either middle or high
school. I feel pretty certain about this decision (while getting my MLIS, I started
down the certification path but didn't finish the ed. courses).

Before I make this big decision I was hoping to hear from anyone who has made this
move from public to school or even just from other school librarians in general. I
know why I want to make the change (more fulfilling, want to make a difference
(cliche, I know), more proactive role in literacy, more creative environment and
collaboration with others). Are there other issues that you feel I need to
consider? Anyone else made this move, and if so, how have you found your new
position in a school vs. public lib. atmosphere?

Any thoughts in general would be much appreciated. I've perused the "advice for new
school librarians" threads but would love more input.

Thanks so much!!

Beth Rasch, Reference Librarian
Chicago, IL
rasceliz@dom.edu