Thank you to all who responded to this query.  Some asked for a hit.  I
have only listed responses that contained fairly generally applicable
suggestions, not those with comments only ( though I promise I did read
all responses).

As you do inventory block off sections with tape or something.  Put up
a sign asking people to have you get books from that section if they are
needed. Don't shelve in that section until you have finished with it and
then inventory the books that need to be shelved.
Work first with sections that get the least use.
Pace yourself.

* Do partial inventories if your software allows.  Start and
complete an inventory of each section separately.   Spread inventory
throughout the entire year.  One small section at a time.
* Map out the collection.  Either make a list of each
shelf/section to use as a checklist, or consider taking a digital
picture of the library.  Print the photo and use it as the checklist.
* Rather than using a handheld, which can be limiting, use a full
computer so that you can edit and make changes as you go.  Try a
laptop
with a wireless access point or a computer on a cart with a very long
data cable :-)

Make sure your circulation system lets you stop and start before
closing an area for inventory purposes
Make sure to mark power or Internet cords for safety.
Be willing to stop and start.
I did inventory while the library is open.  I had to mark the cords on
the floor for safety.  I had to keep a notebook so I knew where I
stopped and started.  I was using Dynix Horizon that had an allowance
for stopping and starting.  Inventory of a particular section didn’t
close until you clicked the radio box that said that are (like Fiction)
was complete.  It took longer, but that was the only way I could do it.

You might want to consider creating / drawing / using a floor plan
that shows where your shelves are located in your library.  Then write
the DDC numbers (etc) that are housed in those shelves over the shelf
locations on the map.  As you work through specific areas in the
library, you can use a highlighter to mark on the map those areas that
have been inventoried.
I've also used small colored dots or post-it notes to mark the insides
of the shelves so I know where I've been.  This helps when you are
working with other people (volunteers), so they know what's already
been done.
What's nice about the new automated systems is that you can open an
inventory and usually any title that is checked in or out during the
time you are doing inventory is automatically counted (or accounted
for) and recorded.  I've done inventory twice using Destiny and both
times we could see how many items were still missing and the last time
they were "accounted for" in the system (the date would show something
like: 3/16/2005).  We would know that there was a good chance that the
book was missing or lost, so it helped in marking the books from the
inventory later.
Do reference first....no one checks them out, so that section should
be
easiest.  The next easiest would be books teachers have in their
classroom.  If or when they turn it in, just put them aside on another
cart, an empty bookshelf, a workroom or other.

Cover a section of shelves with butcher paper so students know it is
off limits for the day. Put that one in order, then scan. Add the scan
to the inventory batch or however your program holds the items being
scanned. Then do another one. Do one or two a week until the whole
library is scanned. Then process. Everything currently checked out is
accounted for so it doesn't need to be scanned. Make sure to scan the
books on the book truck, and in the weird shelving locations.
The other alternative is to do one or two "sections" a month. One month
is fiction, one easy, one is 000-100-200, etc. By the end of the year
all the sections are inventoried.
I never closed my library for inventory, and we seldom lost more than
10 books a year in a 15000 book library.

DON'T!!  ha!  no, really - different systems have different features
that have made a difference while I was doing inventory.  With one
system, shelving materials AFTER I had started created havoc.  I don't
think it would be as big of a problem with Follett.  With the computer,
making sure everything is in order on the shelves isn't such a big deal
either.  But make sure you know where everything is that is in the
system.  I keep finding "missing" items that I tucked away for repair,
or moved to a special spot just for them...be ready to scan EVERYTHING!!

Good luck.  I love getting through with inventory.  It makes me feel
like I have all my ducks in a row. (finding books the kids have turned
in but didn't clear correctly, finding missing or lost items...) it's
sometimes very rewarding.

It depends on the automation system you use but for years there has
been no problem doing inventory while the library is in use. Most
inventory systems count books which are checked out as being "in the
system." I generally only inventory one section of the collection at a
time, e.g. 300s, that way I can keep it manageable. There really
shouldn't be a problem doing inventory if you have a decent automation
program.
I used Yellow Caution tape over sections which had been finished.
If you must do it while you're open, can you have an aide/volunteer
take care of patrons while you scan?
In our district, we do not close during inventory.  In middle school
the teachers continue to bring the classes in for scheduled library
time/check out--I will usually greet the class, tell them what I'm
doing, and then the aide handles check out while I get back to
inventory.  When I was in the elementary library, the class came to the
library and it was the teacher's planning time.  So, usually, we would
show a video (we had the Movie License USA school subscription), the
aide would call a few students at a time to go look for a book.  After
they had checked out, they could choose to sit at a table and read, or
inventory, I was also still keeping an eye on them!
My suggestion is that you limit "browsing" in the entire library as
much
as possible while inventory is in progress.  My fear is always that
books
will be moved from one section to another by patrons, thus
invalidating
the inventory of the small sections.  Our teachers have always been
very
understanding and cooperative about this.
I did it this year and it worked well, I will do it that way again
next
year.  Follett inventories books as they are checked out so if
students
are checking out books that is fine.  I made an excel spreadsheet of
my
shelves and checked them off as I did each section.  It worked very
well, only about 50 got missed because I let my high school aide do
some.  I went back over the missing list the last week of school when
the books were all on the shelves in the correct place and it was easy
to see if the books were on the shelf.  I still have 53 pages of
missing
books, but inventory had never been done, this was my second year
here.

What we do in our library is start the inventory in summer or winter
holidays, and we only do it at one section at the time (Fiction, Easy
fiction, Spanish, Nonfiction, etc.) so the other ones can be used.
I hope I helped.
I do the inventory each year while the library is still open.  I start
about 2 weeks before the end of the year.  I run a shelf list right
before I begin each section.  I start with the sections that have the
fewest number of books out at the current time.  Each section that I
finish, I just highlight the books that are not on the shelf.  As the
books are returned, I manually check them off of the list as IN.  I wait
and do the fiction the last day or two of school since that is the
section with the most books out.
The day after school is out, I go through and change the missing books
to missing, am able to give the office the list of books that were not
returned (as they require--they hold their grade cards until the book is
either returned or paid for), and remove the books from the catalog that
were missing last year and still haven't wandered back into the
library.
I do a manual inventory since it gives me the opportunity to actually
look at each book.  To me, it seems quicker and I'm much more confident
that I have a valid inventory than when I scan them (to many times the
scanner beeps, but doesn't record the correct info to suit me), and I
can also weed at the same time.
I'm thinking about changing my inventory time to the first week of
school since that's the most "quiet" time in the library with the fewest
books checked out.

We always say that our library is still open but offers "limited
service".
We don't check out books to students but will to teachers.  We ask the

teachers not to send students to the media center during that time.
Otherwise it would stretch out forever!
I am in a high school and so have the luxury of doing inventory during
exam time.  However - I have worked in elem and middle schools where we
had kids up till the last day.  We made signs that said - "This book
shelf is closed for the summer.  See you in September!"  After scanning
a shelf, the sign went up and the students were not allowed to look at
books from that shelf.  We left the fiction books and the 700's (sports)
until last, just so there was something for the kids to look at.  We
also used that time to start promoting magazine reading.  And we showed
a lot of videos - and they always were part of a lesson plan of course -
not just entertainment =-)
Start with the Reference as that will not be checked out.  Then do the
areas
where you  either have the fewest books or the least number of
checkouts.
Printout a list of materials that are out and when they come in check
them
off- to help you when you do the finalizing at the end of  inventory

We've done inventory while the library is open for the past 5 years. It

works well for us and helps to maintain good relations with teaching
staff. Whenever the Library is closed, teachers think we're not
working. We always offer services the first week of classes and
continue through the last week of school.
These are some things we do to make the process easier for all.
We send an email to teachers with the schedule letting them know when
each portion will be unavailable so that they can schedule projects.
We only inventory as many titles as we can scan, upload, and run
reports on in a day. That way the section is only unavailable for a
short time.
We inventory the fiction collection in at least 3 sessions so that at
least 2/3 of fiction is always available
We bought a roll of "Do Not Cross/Under Construction" plastic yellow
tape from Home Depot to cordon off the area we're working on.
As an addition to this, work with very small sections so that you can
complete an inventory in one session.  That will minimize the problem.
>My tip is, if you have already started inventory, and you check a book
in, DO NOT also inventory it.  Once you have started inventory, any book
you check in is automatically sent to your inventory list.  Otherwise,
you will be looking for a bunch of duplicates to remove from the
conflicts list.  Live and learn.  :0)

Betsy Ruffin
librarian-technologist
Cleburne ISD
Cleburne, TX
betsy.ruffin@cleburne.k12.tx.us

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us
with floaties and teach us how to swim."
Linton Weeks
(Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)
It is the policy of Cleburne ISD not to discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, gender or handicap in its school programs,
services, or activities.