Hi,

This year I had so much fun with Read Across America that my twelve year old
daughter, that is a poster child for ADHD, said "man mom what's going on?"  My
teaching method includes funny stories from my past.  This time I invited a student
that I had seventeen years ago.  He played football for the University of Alabama.
The students know I am a big University of Tennessee football fan and they have
heard me tell funny stories about making this young man redo papers.   My
ex-student came all the way from Louisiana to read to one class.  He ended up
talking to a student I am trying to reach, talking  with a parent that was also
reading that day and played football for the University of Tennessee.  Afterwards I
took him to several of my eighth grade classrooms to talk with the students about
reading, high school, how I made him memorize prepositions, and of course college
football.  We had twenty-five guest in all that day, a juvenile court judge, a
police chief, a florist, a!
 ll the
big business owners in our small town.  Several of the high school seniors came
over and read to different home rooms, afterwards everyone met in the library for
coffee and a continental breakfast.  At one point I notice things were quiet.  The
high school boys were eating and listening to the two ex-college football players
talk about old players they knew.    The students were crazy about this Alabama
football player and it was great for me to see a young man that I had worked with
turn out to be so successful.  We had a wonderful morning.

Then the cafeteria ladies had ABC chicken nuggets and cake for lunch.  We did a
book trade after lunch.  Every day we dressed like a Dr. Suess book.  Friday was
different socks and shoes.   I had on a tennis shoe and a pointed leather flat.  By
the time school was out I was ready for my appointment at the chiropractor.  The
chiropractor fell out over the different shoes and wants to come read next year.

Debra Evetts
Librarian
Greenbrier Middle School
debrae123@comcast.net