Richie's Picks: BIG SLICK by Eric Luper,  Farrar, Straus & Giroux, October
2007, ISBN: 0-374-30799-7

"If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn
I could arm a town the size of Abilene"
-- The Grateful Dead, "Loser"

"Pocket aces.  Shushie dealt me two aces: a club and a  diamond.  It's the
best starting hand possible.  Not often do cards  like that come along -- once
in 221 hands to be exact.  In five hours of  playing, it's my first pocket aces
and probably my only one for the  tournament.
"I stare at my cards and try to be ice.  Every fiber in  me wants to smile,
to jump up and down, to point my fingers in the air and  wiggle my knees back
and forth like a showboating wide receiver after a  touchdown.  But poker isn't
about grandstanding; it's about patient, it's  about cool.  And it's about
money -- lots of it."

Sixteen-year-old high school student Andrew Lang is a  math whiz who has no
experience with girls (despite having developed a Guy  Meets Girl Algorithm),
no chemical addictions, and -- to his father's chagrin --  no letter jacket.
He has a cute little brother named Rooster, and a  serious dislike of Herman
Melville.  Andrew works in his  father's dry-cleaning business after school and
on weekends, alongside his  fellow student, the older, hot Goth girl Jasmine.
But there is probably a better chance of my  being dealt five aces out of a
single deck than there is of Andrew ever  deciding that he wants to become the
third-generation owner of the family  dry-cleaning establishment.

Unbeknownst to  his parents, Jasmine, or his best friend  Scott, Andrew has
been frequenting the illegal poker club that  operates in the basement of the
town's seedy pool hall.   Over the course of the past year his success at the
poker table had first  waxed brightly but has now seriously waned.  As the
result  of his compulsion to reignite his winning ways, Andrew has "borrowed"
five-hundred dollars from the dry-cleaning register in order to enter a  No-Limit
Hold 'Em tournament.  But one bad hand costs  him that tournament and now the
time is quickly tick-tick-ticking  down toward the day when his father will
balance the books  and discover that the money is missing.  Borrowing another
hundred in his desperation to play his way back to profitability has just
gotten Andrew another hundred dollars further in the hole.  What is  his next
move?

"I'll see you, I'll call you, I'll raise you
But it's no cheap thrill
It will cost you, cost you, cost you
Anything you have to pay."
-- Suzanne Vega, "No Cheap Thrill"

BIG SLICK is an action-filled tale involving hot girls, hot  cars, very
dangerous people, serious desperation, and some  seriously bad choices.  The poker
scenes are so engaging  that I had to spend some quality hours signed into
Yahoo games  learning how to play Hold 'Em.  (In trying  to follow Andrew's
advice on how to play the game, I've already  tripled my initial Yahoo play money.)
 Being a numbers person myself,  I like Andrew's penchant for tossing out
percentages.  I also enjoyed  the author's naming the many chapter titles after
the slang terms for  different combinations of starting hands, such as Pocket
Rockets (two aces),  Hilton Sisters (two queens), Maxwell Smart (an eight and a
six), and Gold  Rush (a four and a nine).

(I just learned from checking out "Loser" in David  Dodd's exquisite COMPLETE
ANNOTATED GRATEFUL DEAD LYRICS that Dead Man's  Hand -- an ace and an eight
-- comes from Wild Bill Hickok having been  holding aces and eights when he was
shot to death in Deadwood.)

I couldn't stop reading the book as Andrew  Lang sinks deeper and deeper into
that proverbial hole of his own  making.  With the action and danger -- and
the enigmatic Goth girl  -- I'm betting that BIG SLICK is going to be both
extremely  popular and a great new title for reluctant  readers.

Richie  Partington
Student, SJSU  SLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com