Dear LM_Netters,

Do you have a great resource or some ideas to write either? I hope so. Please read
on...

I'm just beginning to update my resume and prepare for interviews. Toward that end,
I spoke with my two favored colleagues to ask that they write letters of reference
on my behalf and agree later to field telephone calls verifying their letters.
While both agreed, both also threw the ball back in my court. (Oh my! How I
couldn't help but snicker.)

Both essentially asked what I would like said. And each then of their own accord
took that a step further by suggesting I craft my own letter, email it to them, and
they would then print it on their own letterheads and vouch for the content in
telephone followups afterwards.

Mind you, it's been some time since I've had to do this, so I'm more than a little
rusty at it. But I was more than a little surprised when both of them gave me carte
blanche to craft my own reference letter.

I also recently had one recruiter ask me to include a personal statement. But I'd
like to ask the collective wisdom on this. I fear my idealism and the calling that
brought me to the profession might come across as smarmy.

Speaking both personally and processionally, my preference is to facilitate the
success of others, collaborate with others, cheerlead others and most of all enable
others. Conversely, I eschew recognition, ego gratification and the stealing of or
being cast into the limelight for my efforts. I came to be a Librarian because, for
me, inquiry is the be all and end all. Period. I want to facilitate that juncture
where enquiring minds dwell- ergo my passion.

So tell please tell me, would I do myself well to say it thus, or does that simply
sound to smarmy and obsequious.

If anyone has resources I could review, or suggestions for either of these letters
i would be very grateful and happy to post a HIT soon.

Constance Low
Librarian
Parker School
65-1224 Lindsey Road