Good morning,

The older printings of CADDIE  WOODLAWN, with
illustrations by Seredy, include one of the scalp
belt. I've scanned it and you can see it at my
second blog, "Images of Indians in Children's Books."
http://imagesofindiansinchildrensbooks.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all of you who've sent me resources to
use to trace this term. Most of you note it in
other works of fiction, also by individuals who
are not Native. I don't mean to say that a Native
author would not use it, or that a white one
would. Things aren't quite that way. I do mean,
however, to ask that you think carefully about the source.

There were (and are) deliberate initiatives and
unwitting (uncritical) writers who sought to
create an image of American Indians as horrific
savages. That subtext is present, even in books
like CADDIE, where there are "friendly" Indians,
or white characters defending (or saving, as
Caddie does) the "friendly" or "good" Indians.

In one of my publications, I suggested that works
of fiction about American Indians need to be
evaluated as carefully for accuracy as a work of
non-fiction is. I made that statement because of
the overwhelming amount of garbage present in
children's books. CADDIE is old and outdated, but
still very much in circulation. WHY?????  A lot
of people have written to me to say they're
shocked at the representations of American
Indians in it. WHY does the publishing industry
keep printing these awful books?  Sure---they
make money, but I think there's another agenda at
work. I can say, generously, that most people
aren't aware of that agenda. I suggest, though,
that there is an interest afoot at confining us
(American Indians) to the past. Bloodthirsty or
romantic, as long as its in the past, its gobbled up. Why?

Will YOU take Caddie Woodlawn off your shelf and
do a critical read of it with kids in your library or classroom? Why? Why not?

Debbie

Debbie A. Reese (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu