Last week I posted a target (below) about good stories to dramatize. After
I posted it I realized that many people with great ideas were busy with a
jam-packed conference in Reno. So I am going to post this hit, but I am
also going to ask for more suggestions from anyone who did not see or
could not reply to my target last week. Thanks! I will post another hit in
a few days.

I've had a great week with my K's and 1's dramatizing "The Little Old Lady
Who Was Not Afraid of Anything." I have done this every year for a while,
but Kristin Fontichiaro ("Active Learning Through Drama, Podcasting, and
Puppetry" from Libraries Unlimited) inspired me in a session at ALA in DC
to find a part for every child. So this year we also had trees in the
forest, and the coolest part was the child who got to be the moon by
shining a flashlight on the ceiling. We also had the person who got to be
the sun by turning the lights on and off. Every child had fun and no one
felt left out because they didn't have a part. (They've never bought my
line that the audience is the most important part!)

So now I am inspired and want to know what stories have been successfully
dramatized in your library. Thanks for your suggestions!

Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh and Three Billy Goats Gruff.

The Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman

I have had fun with My Little Sister Ate One Hare by Grossman.  I have ten
students hold cards (big laminated numbers with handles) and stand up when
their number is called (which is often) then sit when all the other
students say "But she didn't!"
I find that the audience feels important if they have a line to repeat
that makes something happen.  In fact, I try to dramatize all my stories
for primary students with at least one prop and a repeating line.
Another one that lends itself nicely to acting out is Benny's Pennies by
Brisson.  Benny gets five pennies and the other students play his family,
and the folks he buys the stuff from.  They each have a name plate hung
around their necks.  The items he buys are easy to make or find - a paper
rose, a newspaper hat, etc.  It makes a good discussion for kindergarten
to talk about what they would do for others and to actually make
inferences about Benny's interpretation of what they say they want. Higher
level thinking for 5 year olds!
Dooby, Dooby, Moo by Cronin is another fun for dividing the entire class
into cows, geese, and pigs. We have a farmer and a duck who are the stars.

I haven’t done it myself, but a great one sure to be a hit is Anansi and
the Moss-Covered Rock by Eric A. Kimmel.  Funny, loved by kids, a whole
cast of characters.

I just did "The Scarecrow's Hot" by Ken Brown.  Another idea I've done is
"Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea" by Jan Peck.  This is the first year
I've really done drama and the kids love it!

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School
Hillsboro, TN 37342
dickinson1@k12tn.net