At our school, students are not allowed to use email - with very few
exceptions. Those exceptions are: accessing Turnitin.com and those Seniors
needing to access their grades from OSU and ODU. However, they each must ask
permission before they do this.

When a whole class is using Turnitin.com, I reserve two of the computers
that are closest to where I work and that I can see well. Each student must
sign in as usual on the sign in sheet and can only use one of those
computers.  If they have other work to do, they sign off that computer and
sign in on one  of the others.  It is a bit of a pain - for them - but I
can keep a handle on what is going on better and they know the consequences
of not following the rules.

A heads up - if you have exchange students - One year one of ours was
accessing porn sites by using his native language...and since he also had
permission to use his email  so he could contact his parents, he used that
to also access some very disturbing sites. And, of course, he shared his
tips.  That is when I established the above procedure - and got my
principal's blessing on the plan.

So far, it has all worked.

Toni Koontz
Librarian