To jump in on this question...

I think the hours depends on the population.  I work with another librarian, and we
work on a "shift" basis.  She comes in at 7:00 and leaves at 3:00.  I come in at
7:20 and leave at 3:45 (but will stay if students need me).  Like another school I
worked in previously, a large number of students ride the bus home.  Also, many
students are involved in sports, clubs, etc.  About four times a month, a student
(or a few students) will want to stay until 4:00 to work on a project.  A majority
of the time (70%) there is NO ONE in here after 3:30.  So, for us, it doesn't have
anything to do with pay or politics.  It is just the way our school is (population
wise).

Susan----------------------- Susan Rudisill Myers Head Librarian Spartanburg High
School rudimyers@hotmail.comEd.S. in Special Libraries