I am curious -- has anyone ever had a student ask this
question or one similar?

I spent 23 years with jr, high kids and the best they
came up with is: where are the romance books, love
poems, football books, war books, etc.

Dewey was simply a means to an end -- the number
really never sank in with them.

Heck I am glad they didn't -- who wants to try and
explain that fiction books really do have numbers --

Paula

--- "Sarles Patricia (18K500)"
<PSarles@SCHOOLS.NYC.GOV> wrote:

> "Creation and other spiritual stories by American
> Indians and other people are found in
> the 398.2 folklore section while Judeo-Christian
> stories are classified in religion when they are
> found in the non-fiction section of the library."
>
> Thanks for redirecting us to that previous
> discussion.
>
> This point that I have extracted above, I believe
> needs attention immediately. The implications for
> this are mind blowing.
>
> I would just as soon put the bible and all the other
> religious books in my fiction section (which is
> arranged alphabetically by author) and put them all
> under G for God.
>
> Has anybody else been tempted to do this?
>
> Then again, I don't see myself in that role. It is
> much much better to have the children discover this
> on their own and ask these questions, "why are bible
> stories in the non-fiction section and similar
> stories from Africa in the folklore section? Aren't
> bible stories just Jewish and Christian folklore?
> Why aren't they then both in the same section?"
>
> For me to answer this, I think I am going to have to
> find a few biographies on Melvil Dewey so that I can
> explain to children why he was so biased in his
> formation of his dewey decimal system.
>
> I honestly have no idea myself.
>
> But to dismantle Dewey, as was discussed back in
> June, NEVER!!!!
>
> Fix it yes, but you would never find another thing
> in your library again if you didn't have a
> classification system to arrange the books.
>

> _________________________
> Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
> Passages Academy Libraries
> 941 Rev. James A. Polite Avenue
> Bronx, New York 10459
> tel: (718) 861-2003
> fax: (718) 861-2039
> psarles@schools.nyc.gov
>
> "Nothing of value comes without being earned, That's
> why great leaders are those who lead by example
> first. You can't demand respect because of a title
> or a position and expect people to follow. That
> might work for a little while, but in the long run
> people respond to what they see." - Michael Jordan
>
> "Libraries are not made; they grow." - Augustine
> Birrell

=== message truncated ===

Paula Yohe
Director Of Technology/Library Media Center
Dillon School District Two
405 West Washington Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Phone: 843-841-3604 Fax:843-774-1214
paula_yohe@yahoo.com

Go from "to-do" to "done" with the all-new Yahoo! Search. Show me how.
http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/