Actually, Dewey did update religion in the most recent edition,
thoroughly changing 200-209 to reflect a more inclusive view of
religious topics. I wonder how many of us actually go out to the
shelves and change numbers when they are changed in new Dewey
editions. How many of our libraries still have books in 301.451 on
African Americans, for example, when it's been at least two editions
since Dewey used that number for such materials?
Along with a few other folks I had the opportunity to meet with Dewey
editors at the AASL conference for a very short period of time
(breakfast on Friday) and they seemed quite eager to hear input on
various topics. There is no conspiracy by Dewey editors to make things
biased--keep in mind that many countries of the world use Dewey and
have their own adaptations based on ethnic groups, religion, etc.
Dewey actually gives instructions for making their numbers work with
various "biases" depending on where the emphasis in the collection is
going to be placed.
I say that rather than moaning among ourselves about the "biases" of
Dewey that we write directly to the editors with suggestions. Just
keep in mind that every bias may have an equal and opposite bias.
And don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of problems with
Dewey. It's just that it really is the only thing we've got that most
folks understand and it's better to continually change and update it
than to start over with something brand new.
Tom Kaun

On Nov 12, 2007 1:59 PM, JK GREER <irismedia@msn.com> wrote:
> I would have thought how the Dewey Classification Committee would have looked at
>the 200s before now and rearranged the numbering to correct the bias.  But, think
>how many libraries would have to updated that section.
> JaKay Greer Teacher-LibrarianMiddle schoolAlbany, Oregonirismedia@msn.com
> Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now.
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx?pid=CL100626971033
>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html