Because there were so many requests for a HIT, here are the directions.

  From Catherine:

----- Forwarded message from Catherine.Huseby@sendit.nodak.edu -----
      Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:31:13 -0600 (CST)
      From: Catherine Huseby <Catherine.Huseby@sendit.nodak.edu>

Connie Cahill, librarian at Jamestown Elementary Schools, asked me to
answer this e-mail for her.

I am a library assistant at Jamestown elementary schools.  This is the
procedure we discovered for getting rid of those fund names we didn't
want.

First create the "custom index":

       Materials --  Custom Indexes --

          Index Name - Fund Range (will be all caps)
          First Field - Fund
          Second Field - Call Number
          Third Field - Material Number

"Build"

In order to "build the custom index" I have always had to shut down the
server which gets all other users off temporarily.  Restart the server and
quickly build your index.  (If you know another way let me know.)

Now make a list of the "fund" items you want to delete, and what you want
them changed to.  Exp. - "Franklin" should be "Franklin Elem", or any
misspelled words.

Now go to "Reports" -- "Material Reports" -- "Materials" -- index:"Fund
Range"

Go to "Change Custom Index Range".
Enter one of the fund names you want to delete in both blanks under "Fund
Range" (at top of window).

Print the list that is created.  Then go to "Materials" -- "Edit".
Look up each material number that needs changes to the fund space (under
the holdings).  Make the change.  This is the part that will take some
time because you have to go to each individual record holding that needs
changes.

Repeat these steps with every fund entry you want to change.  (all
misspellings or unwanted entries).

Once you close Winnebago (not shut-down), and then re-open, the fund item
will be gone if you have made all the changes.

Let me know how this works for you, or if you have questions.  This is
time-consuming but it has worked so far for us.

_________

Directions #2, from Larry:

Your problem depends on a number of factors.  If you have a union, it
will be much more difficult to remove the fund codes because of the way
they propagate from client to client and to the union.

Sagebrush(Follett) has the capability to do this (for a fee, I'm sure).
If you have a stand alone system, I think you can remove all of the fund
codes that you don't want, but not easily.  I have found that you can
delete or modify the fund code of each record that contains it.  By
deleting all of a certain fund code, closing the system, and reopening,
the fund code disappears permanently.  However, all instances of the
code have to be deleted for the code to go away.  If you can export your
database and reimport (a very tricky thing, and not easy because of
duplicate ISBN) you could use a program like MARC Magician to eliminate
all 852x fields or certain 852x fields.  That is where the information
is stored.

  Larry Wieland
Jeffcat Cataloging Supervisor

Jefferson Co. Public Schools