but not cheap) digital VIDEO cameras.
Each offspring will probably use the camera differently but I want
ONE model to serve all. -- am I asking for too much?

#1 -- will probably delegate camera duties to daughters 16/17 -- and
will be used for track and band events (easy to use - long range)
#2 -- high school chem teacher will use at school for short takes on
chem experiments / concepts
#3 -- daughter 16 will probably be in control; track events
#4 -- 4 small children to film (grab and shoot capabilities; fast action)
#5 -- use for filming adult in sporting events: ice hockey (does lens
fog up in cold arenas?), and softball; would be nice to use for HIS
wedding if he ever gets the ring bought (so low light; long range).
#6 -- any and all of the above

In short -- probably the camera will be subjected to all the types of
use a camera gets at school and needs to be as durable.

So is there a camera someone is willing to recommend?  Brand names
that are best? Know of any good buys?  And is there any place that is
open to negotiation on the price for quantity purchases by
individuals?

Thanks,
Sharron

Sharron L. McElmeel
http://www.mcelmeel.com

McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcbookwords.com/

Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
Children's Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit/
Young Adult Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/yalit/

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562
fax (319) 393-4749 (If line is busy, initiate a voice call and ask
that the line be made available for a fax transmission.)
mcelmeel@mcelmeel.com