Since there were two posts asking about this subject, I thought I'd throw my two
cents worth out for all to see. This is just my opinion, based on owning four of
these cameras (three at school and one at home).

I settled on Sony cameras using the mini-dv tape format. At the time I bought the
three for school recording on mini DVD was still a very expensive option. Those
three cameras were used by our school news show kids (HS students) and were
subjected to all sorts of abuse. They are still functioning well today, nearly five
years later. Several of our teachers bought similar cameras for themselves, and all
like them. Two years ago we took a long-planned trip to DC, so we bought the
current version for ourselves. Love it!

The main reason I picked the Sony was that it was one of the few that had a good
quality lens. Since the lens determines the quality of the picture, I thought it
important to make sure that I was getting something decent. Yes, I'm an old
photographer, and I'm a bit set in my ways (read: stubborn) and all the electronics
in the world can't fix what isn't there. Hence the lens choice.

If I was in the market for a camera now, I'd go with the Sony using the mini-DVD
format, just because it is easier to work with if you are going to do any editing.

Remember, this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

David Lininger, kb0zke,
MS/HS Librarian
Hickory County R-1 Schools
Urbana, MO 65767
d l i n i n g e r  at S k y l i n e. k12. m o. us