Could it be "No Talking" by Andrew Clements?

The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary
don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are
loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic
bullhorn. A lot.

Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth, bumps into an idea -- a
big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does
Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burges, jabbering away. So Dave
breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest:
Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the
boys against the girls.

How do the teachers react to the silence? What happens when the
principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge
the whole school into chaos?