Thanks again to those who suggested princess stories!  I'll definitely be looking
into Fancy Nancy.  My original request was for kindergartners, but I received many
good suggestions for more challenging titles as well.  It seems princesses are in!
There were several requests for a hit, so here it is ...

Don't give in to the pink brigade! They can get the
Disney/commercial/gender-restrictive stuff outside of school.

My K kids love Princess Pigsty & The Princess Knight by Cornelia Funke - great
books!

There is a chapter book series called Princess Power by Suzanne Williams. This
series has received international attention. It's been translated in German.

Yes, those little girls love princess stories! How about these:
There are a couple of Princess Chamomile stories
by Hiawyn Oran

Princess Knight
The Twelve Dancing Princesses
Angelina and the Princess

What about the book Fancy Nancy?  The main character isn't a princess but she loves
all things fancy.

Try:  Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Kevin O'Malley.  The princess is pink and
girly... until she has to shpw up the motorcycle dude who wants her to sit and
weave straw into gold while he has the adventures.  My kids LOVE it.

Book Description:

Cooperatively writing a fairy tale for school, a girl imagines a beautiful princess
whose beloved ponies are being stolen by a giant, and a boy conjures up the
muscular biker who will guard the last pony in exchange for gold.

It must be an epidemic.  We have the same requests here.  I just purchased the
following titles:

Princess Justina Albertina: a Cautionary Tale by Ellen Dee Davidson Princess Pigsty
by Cornelia Funke A Surprise for Princess Ellie by Diana Kimpton Princess Charlotte
and the Birthday Ball by Vivian French Princess Daisy and the Dazzling Dragon by
Vivian French P is for Princess: a Royal Alphabet by Steven L. Layne Barbie as the
Island Princess by Judy Katschke Princess and the Snarls by Patti Reeder Eubank
Usborne Princess Treasury by Susanna Davidson (nonfiction) Barbie and the Magic of
Pegasus: a junior novelization by Kari James

Some from the past:

The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-Be by Mini Grey (2003) Princess Penelope's
Parrot by Helen Lester (1996)

These titles worked too:

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor

Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy by Jane O'Conner My Big Pink Book of Everything by
Christiane Gunzi and Chez Picthall

Pink: Seeing Pink All Around Us by Michael Dahl (nonfiction) Pinkalicious by
Victoria Kann & Elizabeth Kann

woo, bet they like Fancy Nancy too!

I recently introduced all my 2nd grade gals to the fairy tales and showed them all
the spin-offs of the fairy tales.

that has kept them at bay!

good luck

Angelina at the palace / story by Katharine Holabird ; illustrations by Helen
Craig.-- New York : Viking Childrens Books, 2005.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 22 cm.

    SLJ Oct 2005

celebration of the the king and queen of Mouseland, she finds herself in charge of
preparing the three young princesses for their performance.

Arthur's tractor : a fairy tale with mechanical parts / by Pippa Goodhart ;
illustrated by Colin Paine.-- 1st U.S. ed.-- New York, NY

: Bloomsbury Children's Books, 2003.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 28 cm.

    Bklst 02/15/2003

    SLJ Mar 2003

    PW 12/23/2002

    Kirkus 01/01/2003

right behind him, Arthur the farmer thinks that the strange noises he keeps hearing
are being made by his tractor breaking down.

Do princesses really kiss frogs? / by Carmela LaVigna Coyle ; illustrated by Mike
Gordon and Carl Gordon.-- Flagstaff, Ariz :

Rising Moon, c2005.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 24 x 28 cm.

    SLJ Nov 2005

along the way about what princesses do.

The end / story by David LaRochelle ; illustrations by Richard

Egielski.-- 1st ed.-- New York : Arthur A. Levine Books, 2007.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 28 cm.

    Bklst 01/01/2007

    SLJ Apr 2007

    PW 12/18/2006

    Kirkus 12/01/2006

    Horn Bk May 2007

involving a fire-breathing dragon, one hundred rabbits, a hungry giant, and a
handsome knight.

Good knight sleep tight / written and illustrated by David Melling.-- 1st ed. for
the U.S. and Canada.-- Hauppauge, N.Y : Barron's Educational Series, 2005.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 29 cm.

    Originally published: London : Hodder Children's Books, 2005.

    Bklst 02/01/2006

    SLJ Mar 2006

    PW 01/02/2006

king sends his loyal knight to refill it with something just as soft and fluffy.

The knight who took all day / James Mayhew.-- 1st American ed.-- Somerset [England]
; New York : Chicken House : Scholastic, 2005.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 29 cm.

    SLJ Oct 2005

    PW 10/17/2005

    Kirkus 10/01/2005

squire, to save the princess from a dragon.

Lottie's princess dress / by Doris Dčorrie ; pictures by Julia

Kaergel.-- 1st ed.-- New York : Dial Books for Young Readers, c1999.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 30 cm.

    SLJ Sep 1999

    PW 07/12/1999

    Kirkus 06/15/1999

    Horn Bk Jul 1999

dress to school, their day becomes very special.

The princess and the pea / Rachel Isadora.-- New York : G.P. Putnam's Sons, c2007.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 27 cm.

    Bklst 04/15/2007

    SLJ Jun 2007

    PW 06/11/2007

    Kirkus 05/15/2007

real princess by feeling a pea through twenty mattresses and twenty featherbeds.

The princess knight / by Cornelia Funke ; illustrations by Kerstin Meyer ;
translated by Anthea Bell.-- New York : Scholastic, 2004, c2003.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 29 cm.

    "Published in the United Kingdom in 2003 by The Chicken House ...

Frome, Somerset"--P. facing t.p.

    "The Chicken House."

    Bklst 02/01/2004

    PW 01/26/2004

    Kirkus 01/15/2004

Violetta disguises herself as a boy in order to take part in the big jousting
contest in the hopes of showing everyone that she is just as capable.

Princess Pigsty / by Cornelia Funke ; illustrated by Kerstin Meyer ; translated by
Chantal Wright.-- 1st American ed.-- New York : Chicken House/Scholastic, 2007.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 23 x 28 cm.

    Originally published: Frome : Chicken House, 2007.

    SLJ Apr 2007

    PW 02/19/2007

    Kirkus 03/15/2007

crown out the window and finds happiness working in the royal kitchen and pigsty.

Stella, princess of the sky / Marie-Louise Gay.-- Toronto ; Berkeley, CA : Douglas
& McIntyre : Distributed in the USA by Publishers Group West, c2004.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 24 cm.

    "A Groundwood book."

    SLJ Oct 2004

    BCCB Recommended

the stars and a rising moon form a backdrop for their expedition where they
encounter raccoons, fireflies, tree frogs, and bats.

The storytelling princess / Rafe Martin ; illustrated by Kimberly Bulcken Root.--
New York : Putnam's, c2001.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 29 cm.

    PW 06/25/2001

    Kirkus 05/15/2001

    BCCB Recommended

story whose ending he does not know and thus qualify for his hand in marriage.

The very smart pea and the princess-to-be / Mini Grey.-- 1st American

ed.-- New York : Alfred A. Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 2003.

    1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill ; 26 cm.

    SLJ Sep 2003

    Kirkus 08/15/2003

    Horn Bk Nov 2003

"The Princess and the Pea," from the time of its birth in the Palace Garden until
it helps arrange a royal marriage.

Do Princesses wearing hiking boots?

Do Princesses really kiss frogs?

Do Princesses scrape their knees?

Princess Me

I also love the Fancy Nancy books.  She's not a princess, but she certainly does
act like one.

Fancy Nancy (not a princess but very pink and sparkly), The Princess and the Pea,
Sleeping Beauty, Rumpelstiltskin off the top of my head....they must have all gone
to see Enchanted this weekend.  It was really cute!  Also, Pinkalicious by Kann, Do
Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? by Coyle Princesses are not Quitters by Lum, Princess
Smartypants by Cole,  The Princess Knight by Funke, and then there are all the
Cinderella variations.  You could do a great set of comapre and contrast lessons--I
used (in elementary school) to read variations of Cinderella and then have the kids
identify the differences in setting and characters while comparing the plot
elements.

This title (The Royal Adventures of Princess Daisy and Princess Darcy) was written
by the mother of a recent graduate of Seton High School here in Cincinnati, OH.
It's published by Orange Frazier Press and features stories about two little
princesses.  You might want to check it out -- just an fyi.

http://www.orangefrazer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_C

Sara Reinders, LMS
Ada Christian School

Ada, MI