Southern Connecticut State University

New Haven CT 06515

October 2007

LM_NET readers:

My name is Ellen Rogers and I am a graduate student in the Master of Library
Science program at Southern Connecticut State University.  This semester I
am enrolled in Evaluation and Research (ILS 680).  As part of the degree
requirements, I am conducting a study of both international school libraries
and stateside school libraries.  I am requesting help in learning more about
collection development and the challenges of the demographic changes in US
schools.  I am also surveying international school libraries to determine
how their experience and expertise can assist librarians in local American
schools.  A survey is attached at the end of this message since my
attachment didn't go through on the first try.  Please return to me directly
via e-mail or fax.

Thank you for your assistance.

Ellen Rogers, MLS student

Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT

ellenrogers@comcast.net

Southern Connecticut State University

New Haven CT 06515

SURVEY CONCERNING CHALLENGES FOR

SCHOOL LIBRARIES IN VIEW OF THE

CHANGING US DEMOGRAPHIC

September 2007

Dear Participant:

My name is Ellen Rogers and I am a graduate student in the Master of Library
Science program at Southern Connecticut State University.  This semester I
am enrolled in Evaluation and Research (ILS 680).  As part of the degree
requirements, I am conducting a study of both international school libraries
and stateside school libraries.  I am requesting your help in learning more
about collection development and the challenges of the demographic changes
in US schools.  I am also surveying international school libraries to
determine how their experience and expertise can assist librarians in local
American schools.

Participation is voluntary. There will be no penalty for refusal to
participate. Return of this survey indicates your consent to use this data
in research. [This research has been reviewed under the Human Research
Protection Program, Institutional Review Board at Southern Connecticut State
University (Protocol 06-107).]

Below you will find a number of questions; most questions ask you to write a
short answer.  The survey takes less than 15 minutes to complete.

We would like you to complete the form below and return it in the next day
or two either by e-mail or fax. Your return of the completed questionnaire
will be taken as your consent to participate in this study.  If you have
questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks for taking the time to complete this survey.

Your assistance and participation are greatly appreciated.

Dr. Mary E. Brown, Buley 416             Ellen Rogers, Graduate Student

Dept of Information & Library Science Master of Library Science Program

Southern Connecticut State University

501 Crescent Street

New Haven CT 06515

Brownm6@southernct.edu                   ellenrogers@comcast.net

Tel: 1.203.392.5781                             Fax:  1.908.389.0827

Southern Connecticut State University

New Haven CT 06515

Survey Concerning Challenges for School Libraries

 in view of the changing US Demographic

School Demographics:

            Total school population ___________________

            % Native English speakers _________________

            % ESL  ________________________________

            Countries of Origin: % American _______ % European __________ %
African __________

                        % Asian ______ % South American _________ %
Australian/Oceanic ___________

                        % Mexican/Central American ___________ % Caribbean
Islander ______________

            Library Collection size (print) fiction  _______ non-fiction
________ reference ___________

            Grade levels school library serves ________________

Employment Experience:

            Job Title

            Number of years in current position ___________

            Have you worked as the librarian in an international school?
_______  If so, it would be            appreciated if you could respond to
five additional questions at the end of this survey.

1. To what extent does your student population influence your acquisition
choices? (Please elaborate when possible) Specifically:

            1a. Do you purchase books in languages other than the
instructional language (English) of the     school?
___

            1b. Do you purchase materials in the world languages taught in
the school? __________________
___

            1c. Do you emphasize lower reading level books for use by ESL
students? ___________________

___

2. How do you include literature focusing on religious, cultural and holiday
materials if there are multiple home countries
represented?________________________________________________________
__________

__________

3. Are you able to find a variety of materials that have pictures and
experiences that are inclusive of the peoples of the world and your school
population? ______________________________________________

__________

4.  Do parents use the library as well? ______ If so, continue with question
4a.  If not, skip to question 5.

            4a. Do parents use the materials for their own reading or to
help their children with school or      transitioning?
___

            4b. If parents use the library for themselves, do you consider
their needs in acquisition choices?
__

__

5. Does your collection emphasize materials that discuss transitions?  (i.e.
friends moving and leaving you behind, you moving here or away, or adjusting
to a new culture) _________________________________

_________

6. What questions would you ask a librarian of an international school that
would be helpful to your situation and the changing US demographic?
__________

__________

__________

Attaching a copy of your collection development policy would be appreciated.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION.

Please return this survey to ellenrogers@comcast.net or fax # 908-389-0827

[Librarians with experience in international schools are invited to continue
and complete the following five additional questions.]

7. Describe any specific surprises about the international school library
experience that would have been helpful to know in advance.

__________

__________

8. What suggestions can you offer to stateside school librarians to help
them with the US changing
demographic?________________________________________________________________
___________

____________________

9. Is the international library collection typically larger than a stateside
one would be?_________________

__________

__________

10. Is the instructional part of the job any different? _______ If so,
how?____________________________

__________

__________

11. What unique challenges have you experienced in the international school
library?__________________

____________________

---------------------------DETACH HERE ------------------------------

If you are interested in being contacted for a more detailed interview by
phone, please provide the following information:

Name _______________________________

Phone Number ____________________________________

Best time and day to reach you ____________________________

Southern Connecticut State University

New Haven CT 06515

September 2007

Introduction and Purpose.  My name is Ellen Rogers and I am a graduate
student in the Master of Library Science program at Southern Connecticut
State University.  This semester I am enrolled in Evaluation and Research
(ILS 680).  As part of the degree requirements, I am conducting a study of
both international school libraries and stateside school libraries.  I am
requesting your help in learning more about collection development and
unique challenges of international school libraries and how that expertise
can assist librarians in local American schools.

Before agreeing to be part of this study, please read the following
information carefully. Feel free to ask questions if you do not understand
something.

In order to decide whether or not you wish to be a part of this study you
should know enough about its risks and benefits to make an informed
judgment. This consent form provides you with detailed information about the
research study. I will discuss any aspects of the study with you that you do
not understand. You should be aware of all aspects of the study, its
purpose, the procedures to be used and any risks or benefits. Once you
understand the study, you will be asked if you wish to participate, if you
do, you will be asked to sign this form.

Procedures.  If you decide to volunteer, you may receive one phone call for
a more detailed interview.  At that time, I will be able to present
questions suggested by stateside school librarians.

Risks and Inconveniences. It is possible that some of the items in the
telephone interview may make you feel uncomfortable. Although this rarely
happens, if you do feel uncomfortable you may choose not to answer certain
items or stop the process.

Benefits. This study was not designed to benefit you directly; however your
contribution will benefit all school librarians facing a multicultural
school population.

Costs/Compensations.  There is neither cost nor compensation for
participation.

Voluntary Participation. Your participation in this research is entirely
voluntary. You may refuse to participate in this research without any
negative consequences for you. If you begin to participate in this research,
you may at any time and for any reason, discontinue your participation
without any negative consequences. Simply let the researcher know.

Confidentiality. All survey responses will be kept confidential and your
privacy will be protected.  Although you will not be identified
individually, the data accumulated may be used in publication of papers
related to the globalization of school libraries.  Once the phone interview
is complete, your contact information will be destroyed.

Before you sign this form, please ask any questions on any aspect of this
study that is unclear to you. You may take as much time as necessary to
think this over. If you have further questions, you may contact Ellen Rogers
at (rogerse3@southernct.edu). If you have questions regarding your rights as
a research participant you may contact the SCSU Institutional Review Board
at (203) 392-5958.

I have explained to                  (Participant)                the
purpose of this research, the procedures required, and the possible risks
and benefits to the best of my ability. To the best of my knowledge, the
information contained in this consent form is true and accurate.

         (Principal Investigator or Assignee)

         (Participant)

I have read or have had read to me this consent form. I understand my part
in this research. I give my assent to participate in this research.