"Does anyone have a good way of keeping pencils by the OPAC? Ours get
stolen constantly - we can easily go through a dozen in a day. I've
tried tying them down, I've tried taping a flag on them that says "This
is not my pencil." I really don't like to make them come and ask me for
a pencil every time, but that's what it's coming down to."

I have done the tape a spoon to the pen or pencil trick. Another thing I
have tried and our main office does this to their pens for public use
also.
You take some green floral tape and and a pretty fake flower of your
choice(you can do this seasonally if you choose). Hold the flower stem
next to the pen or pencil and wrap the floral tape around it so it
attaches the flower to the pen firmly and looks like a stem. The flower
goes at the eraser or non-writing end of the pen or pencil. Wrap the
green floral tape all the way down to the area just above the writing
tip.  Then I store the finished flower pens in a vase, flower pot, or
pretty tin. Most of the time, unless I say something kids just think
they are flowers and I always have pens close at hand. Once the kids
realize they are pens they will use them but they will be reluctant to
take them because who wants to carry around an odd looking flower pen.
Girls might be the only ones likely to actually steal them but then
again. I also have trouble with teachers taking my pens. They actually
rifle through my desk drawers.  My desk is in the middle of library and
open game I guess. Anyway, the flower thing has worked fairly well for
us and makes a nice decoration as well. Our front office used carnation
like flowers in the school colors (red, blue, and yellow). They look
really nice up there on the counter. The pencil war never ends though. I
think this a fight you either choose to do battle with or choose not to.
Good luck!

Amy Day
Library Paraprofessional
Santa Fe Trail High School