<snip>
The rights issue is a weak one in schools, unfortunately.  However, kids
should be able to make their own reading choices because they are the ones
doing the reading.  A child checking out books far above their abilities
will eventually tire of this and move to books they can read.

And what do they do when they leave the school and the rest of the world is
organized by AR colors?

Bob Koreis
Librarian
Hockinson High School
bob.koreis@hock.k12.wa.us

<snip>

I am so tired of teachers coming into the library and telling students that
they cannot check out certain books because they are not on their reading
level according to one test that was given.  Am I wrong or is this
censorship?  My principal is strongly for AR and is big on students reading
only books in their ZPD.  What can I say to her to convince her that
students need to be free in the library to make their own choices of what to
read and that we are infringing on their rights?

  Janet L. McCoy, LMS
  McAuliffe Elementary, Tulsa, OK
  mccoymedia@yahoo.com

Hi All,
I'm fairly new to this list-serv but thought those of you experiencing
restriction requests from staff might be interested in a book called "The
Rights of the Reader" by Daniel Pennac. The quote on the inside cover is ...
"You can't make someone read. Just like you can't make them fall in love, or
dream ...". In this book Pennac defends the right to read for pleasure, the
power of the story and how we learn to read (what helps and what gets in the
way). You can also find a small poster (free to download) of Pennac's Rights
of the Reader at
http://www.walkerbooks.co.uk/Downloads/The-Rights-of-the-Reader-poster

Sometimes people worry so much about 'filling the bucket' that they forget
to 'light the fire'. Hope this book is of some help.

Cheers,
Cathy Hainstock
Teacher-in-the-library
Village School Primary