The ZPD, as used by AR, is a dishonest bastardization of Vygotsky's work.
It's all about the $.  AR has no instructional program, and yet the zone of
proximal development is all about that area between where the child
functions independently and their capacity that can be reached with the help
of an adult.  Sound like instructional level to me.

Oh, but I forgot, AR has no instructional component and the books the kids
check out are for independent reading.

And how does AR determine ZPD?  With a multiple choice cloze test.  Cloze
tests can be wonderful tools, but they are strongest when measuring
vocabulary in a subject area of determining language development of ELL
students.  Sadly, too many teachers and librarians abdicate professional
judgement for the quick fix convenience of a STAR test.  STAR cannot measure
motivation or areas of interest.

The rights issue is a weak one in schools, unfortunately.  However, kids
should be able to make their own reading choices because they are the ones
doing the reading.  A child checking out books far above their abilities
will eventually tire of this and move to books they can read.

And what do they do when they leave the school and the rest of the world is
organized by AR colors?

Bob Koreis
Librarian
Hockinson High School
bob.koreis@hock.k12.wa.us

The library is not a shrine for the worship of books. It is not a temple
where literary incense must be burned or where one's devotion to the bound
book is expressed in ritual. A library, to modify the famous metaphor of
Socrates, should be the delivery room for the birth of ideas - a place where
history comes to life.   Norman Cousins