From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Kendra Molen
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 1:40 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Target: (Elem) Teachers restricting books

I am feeling the same frustrations regarding AR and the reading level.
 I'm the new librarian and the person that I replaced would check the
book's reading level against the student's ZPD before checking it out
to the student.  They were only allowed to check out in their zone and
they were not allowed to check out a book if it was not AR.  Unless
the student was in kindergarten.  Kindergarten students were never
allowed to check out an AR book.  I don't agree with this practice so
I let students check out books that they are interested in.   I'm
feeling the wrath of this practice from teachers and some parents.  I
let a first grader check out a cook book and the classroom teacher
yelled at the child and made him return the book.  They are not
allowed to check out a book that isn't on their level or they get in
trouble in the classroom.  I even heard one of the teachers say that a
kid keeps "wasting their time checking out books that aren't AR".  I
almost cried when I heard this and I think it's a horrible message to
send to children.  From the parents I get complaints because their
first or second grader can't read the book.  I suggest that they read
it together, then they complain because their child knew the book but
didn't pass the quiz because they couldn't read it.

I get so frusterated when students say that they really want to read a
book but that they can't because it's not on their reading level!
Apparently some teachers will go into AR management and erase quizzes
if the book isn't on a student's level.

Kendra Molen
EHEMS
Baker, WV